Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Raven (2012)

Author Topic: The Raven (2012)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-28-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A serial killer bases his murders on Edgar Allan Poe writings. Wackiness ensues.

The real Poe died in 1849, a few days after being found delirious on a park bench. Nobody knows how he came to be there or in his condition. This movie fictionalizes events leading up to the park bench. According to the script writers, Poe played the role of the Scooby Doo gang assisting the cops.

If you took the whole Poe thing out of this, it would be a very pedestrian 19th century serial killer mystery. As is, it's a very pedestrian 19th century serial killer mystery with a franchise brand on it.

Doesn't really make it better.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I anticipated release of "Raven", but had a distorted expectation as to the direction of the storyline. I guess I was expecting Vincent Price to suddenly jump out at the audience; of course that didn't happen. Instead of what I figured to be more of a horror flick similar to previous films based on Poe's writings, "The Raven" came across like a good Sherlock Holmes mystery movie... and I emphasize good. Although it wasn't what I expected it to be, it was still well done and enjoyable; and it didn't take anything away from the previous Price films based on Poe's works, either.

I saw "The Raven" in genuine 35mm! An excellent presentation. The audio a little loud, like it's supposed to be! And $2 popcorn to boot!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: