Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mirror Mirror

Author Topic: Mirror Mirror
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 08:27 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how time and again movies with similar themes or stories seem to hit the cinema around the same time, think Deep Impact/Armageddon or even Naked Lunch/Barton Fink, and it's happening again this year with (of all things) Snow White. Mirror Mirror is the family offering currently on release whereas Snow White and the Huntsman is the dark, adult-oriented version slated for release later in the year.

It's somewhat ironic that Tarsem Singh would be the director chosen to helm this project given his past, albeit sparse, body of work but it proves to be quite the coup. In concert with his regular production designer, Tom Foden, and costume designer, Eiko Ishioka, Tarsem is more attuned to the nightmarish visions found in The Cell and Immortals. The trio display great restraint and consummate flair in turning their design skills to this film, however, and the result is nothing short of marvellous. Their intricately detailed fantasy land is no less distinctive than the creepy visions of their past work but remoulded into a kiddy-friendly format that the whole family can enjoy.

As is becoming increasingly popular, Mirror Mirror re-imagines the centuries old tale of Snow White into a modern context, throwing in plenty of girl power for good measure. Like Rapunzel in Disney's Tangled, Snow White tranforms from a shrinking violet to a confident, principled woman and sweetly sidelines her prince enroute. Sure it's a little on the twee side but it gets away with it by appealing to the same sense of fun that made Disney's Enchanted such a success.

Julia Roberts is clearly having the time of her life as the wicked Queen out to quicken Snow White's demise for the sake of her own vanity, delivering most of the best lines (a few are saved for the dwarves) and is a good sport lampooning her own age. Lilly Collins is suitably appealing as Snow White but, dare I say it, Roberts is better looking. Armie Hammer plays the charming prince with the dry, haughty schtick he displayed in The Social Network and again in J. Edgar and, frankly, it's getting tiresome - he needs a meaty role that breaks with type to prove himself.

As a wholesome family outing, Mirror Mirror can't be beat. Leaving your pretensions at the door, there's a lot of fun to be had here, right down to its off-the-wall Bollywood ending.

8 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 12:12 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually quite enjoyed this - along with the trademark Tarsem visuals - it was very entertaining. The Sony 4K digital presentation I saw was stunning to say the least!

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running MM this weekend, and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I'm not a huge Julia Roberts fan and while Tarsem sure know how to set upa shot, he's not so great at keeping narrative moving. And, yeah, there were a few scenes that might have gone on a little long, but overall, it was good fun AND gorgeous. Every single demographic who has come in has liked it, including the very picky middle school boys who came in hopes of wooing middle school girls. So, win.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: