Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DCP release) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (DCP release)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2012 04:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most classics released on DCP look spectacular, but I recently saw a bad one. Unfortunately I'm talking about Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

ALL of the highlights were blown out, the source material wasn't anything to write home about, the transfer wasn't that great, the sound mix was a disaster, but what absolutely killed it was the awful, awful, awful compression artifacts!

Clearly they just blew up the blu-ray (which must look bad too, although I've never seen it). VERY disappointing!!! If this is how Paramount is going to start issuing DCPs, we should all avoid that studio's rep films because it looked like shit.

Note it was authored in January, so this is a new addition to their rep library and probably an indication of their attitude toward future DCP releases of rep titles.

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 01:44 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is disgraceful!
Kinda what I expect from Paramount after I heard they only restored The Godfather at Spielberg's insistence!

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was wrong with the sound mix? Did they attempt to remix the sound and didn't do a good job, or was it a problem with their source?

Lincoln Spector
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Lincoln Spector   Author's Homepage   Email Lincoln Spector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<That is disgraceful!
Kinda what I expect from Paramount after I heard they only restored The Godfather at Spielberg's insistence! >
What did Spielberg have to do with The Godfather?

I heard that Paramount did an excellent DCP of Ten Commandments, although I haven't seen it. The Blu-ray is excellent.

Lincoln

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if it due from the original 1986 release where Paramount used that stock that looks like what M-G-M used (Metrocolor) as their print stock.

I remember, in that original release, that some of the fotography wasn't up to snuff in places..somewhat grainy.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg had more clout with Paramount than his friend Francis!
So he intervened!
Otherwise Spielberg has nothing to do with The Godfather.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We showed a 35mm print last year. It looked and sounded great!

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2012 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35mm prints, even 1986 originals, are VASTLY superior to the awful excuse for a DCP Paramount is sending out.

The sound mix sounded like it had been re-EQ'd...possibly for "home cinema".

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 07:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who at the studio is responsible for these issues? That is, who do we complain to?

It's shameful to create a subpar product when the technology is there to make it great, or at least, good.

AJG

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2012 12:40 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lincoln Spector
I heard that Paramount did an excellent DCP of Ten Commandments, although I haven't seen it. The Blu-ray is excellent.
They had to do that. It was either that or get a plague of frogs in the editing room.

Oh c'mon... that was funny...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2012 02:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the Blu-ray of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I do know that it is a pot luck deal when buying/renting older movies on Blu-ray. Some have great video transfers, with imagery acquired using precise film scanners and digital intermediate techniques. Others are cribbed from older, wobbly telecine transfers made for DVD release. Such Blu-ray discs have soft video quality, muted colors, unsteady images and even a fair amount of dirt and debris.

Another factor: many movies have multiple video masters laying around in storage. I can certainly see a classic comedy like this getting a good treatment on Blu-ray yet have a simple mistake made in grabbing an older telecine master (with lossy DD 5.1 audio) to use as a source for making a DCP.

The vast majority of people, even people working in the movie industry, have VERY LITTLE knowledge about technical stuff involving video, graphics, audio formats, etc. Many people making decisions are of the bookkeeping type. It's very easy for one of those people to see a video master laying around and not know that it is an old master that probably should have been discarded or marked as old.

I deal with this crap all the time, even with logos from major companies. A few days ago a customer gave me what was supposed to pass as official Boost Mobile artwork: PDFs with all the artwork converted to pixels. Shit basically. I had to go over the customer's head and get the correct vector-based art from the corporate marketing department. Most people who design signs, billboards, etc. don't give enough of a shit to bother with such details.

We've seen numerous Blu-ray releases botched with various mistakes. The opening of West Side Story was goofed up and a 2nd pressing and disc exchange had to be made.

It's all in the details.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2012 03:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but who do you complain to when a DCP is botched? You think they'll actually rescan and/or re-encode?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odds are against it. A DCP of an old movie will only play in a few theaters at a time. How many people who see it will be reputable critics who can, with authority, spot flaws in the video transfer? Not many. Those who do likely don't dedicate themselves to writing reviews about DCPs on Internet web sites.

Without all the various video review sites and forums a lot of botched Blu-ray discs we've seen over the past few years never would have been corrected. DCPs don't get the same benefit because they can't be held to the same level of scrutiny.

Studios will have to take it upon themselves to fix this problem, if they give a tinker's damn about it. It should be as simple a procedure as outputting several encodes when a catalog movie is carefully scanned and digitally restored. I'm sure they already do this to a certain extent (encodes for Blu-ray, DVD, HD cable/satellite, Internet streaming, etc.). They just need to be sure to add DCP JPEG2000 to the list. And then they have to do a better job keeping track of the assets afterward.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-31-2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Yeah but who do you complain to
Complain to Technicolor Labs they handle Paramount's digital transfers. Remember Paramount Blu-rays are made in Mexico.

The EK prints of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" that Paramount opened in LA looked Great.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lincoln Spector
I heard that Paramount did an excellent DCP of Ten Commandments
Wonder what original they used - prob a IB printing negative - to make it look good.

For us who have seen/ran the IB-Technicolor release of this feature, one can only say that was the sharpest and brightest flat lens picture on the screen that anyone could have ever seen.

If Paramount ever did a DCP of this feature, I would hope the would use the original 8 perf VistaVision negatives since the resolution would easily fit well above 4k - almost to infinity.

This feature would look fantastic in IMAX using 15/70 film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: