Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Hunger Games (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Hunger Games
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-23-2012 02:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I was expecting out of The Hunger Games, but this wasn't it. I suppose that I'm not the target audience, but this story very simplistic and preposterous. Is it trying to make some sort of a point about society and "reality television" that I didn't catch because I haven't paid attention to or watched television in many years?

I usually enjoy science fiction movies; it's one of my favourite genres. But this one didn't capture me at all. Even the sets, the settings, and the special effects weren't particularly impressive. 80% of the movie takes place in a forest and the remainder takes place in a series of very sparsely furnished rooms. Knives apparently recycled from the Klingon Empire, and a few Star Wars storm troopers wearing short-visor motorcycle helmets.

To me, this looks more like a low budget and not particularly good Made-For-TV movie than the biggest movie of this season.

Based on the number of phone calls that I'm getting today, I'm sure it's going to draw huge crowds. But I really don't understand why.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a movie version of Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-24-2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
It's not a movie version of Hungry Hungry Hippos?
It's more like Battle Royale meets the Running Man.

I've never read the novel(s) and have no intention, but the story was quite mediocre at best. It was sufficient to keep my attention although.

The cinematography is really bad. I hate shaky camerawork for no reason at all and this movie had plenty of it.

What I did like was the immersive soundmix.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-26-2012 10:15 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a tough time analyzing this movie, and I can't quite figure out why. I didn't think the story was weak at all. I thought it was pretty dark stuff. I considered myself pretty prepared going in, but watching children brutally kill each other was still pretty disturbing. What's even more disturbing is how easy the movie makes it look, and how easily everyone watches the movie and then seems to miss (or dismiss) what they just saw. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't think it was a bad movie. In fact, I'm tempted to say that I enjoyed it and it was a good movie. But something inside me is disturbed by it and more so by the cultural phenomenon that it seems to be. I'll reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks as I digest all of this a bit further.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2012 09:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the editing is also highly obnoxious. While the film is very very loosely based on the Battle Royale format and storyline - it really is very different - and not for the better. BR was pretty much balls to the walls hardcore action, HG though just felt slightly corny and SyFy channel-esque. [uhoh] "whatever"

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2012 01:33 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brendan Theaters 16 Vacaville, Ca
auditorium #16 THX certified
35mm Dolby Digital
Presentation: Tack sharp, bright, with excellent EQ.
Print: Low quality high speed crap with lots of lab splices and crap code every 2 or 3 scenes in reel 4.

The Hunger Games: Just didn't work for me. Couldn't get into the characters, the music didn't contribute much, 80 million dollars and they couldn't afford a tripod or dolly tracks. Clearly Gary Ross stayed up too late one too many nights watching The Running Man, The Truman Show, and Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juilet on cable. (He might have caught part of Predator while flipping channels)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee...what does it cost to get the cameras mounted on dollies, or least a tripod?

I was warned that this movie had the camera work of "Blair Witch" in it, but not as bad.

Thing's all full of hand held camera work..and prob not even any "Steadicam" equipment.

Don't film makers realize that people, in real life, don't bob their heads, like "bobbleheads",trying to focus on a scene or character-terribly unnatural and can bother some with vertigo issues.

Just been catching scenes here and there - does look interesting.

Was more entertained with John Carter .. -Monte

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 05:24 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, I don't think HG is based on Battle Royale at all. At least, not according to Suzanne Collins, who wrote the book it IS based on. I think expecting HG to be like BR is unfair. (Now, I haven't seen it yet, so I'm defending it or saying it is actually a good movie. It might not be. But at least judge it on its own merits!)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-31-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Moore Warren, Moore, OK
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema 2K/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: I sat WAY too close to the screen, so digital looked...digital...
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Bill Warren needs to get off his lazy ass and build a couple more plexes in the OKC metro. This place is always busy. I don't know why the other theatres in town even bother anymore.

THE PLOT: Kids battle to the death in a touching full-length adaptation of Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" music video. Wackiness ensues.

I forgave the plot holes because the first half of the movie's costumes and set design looks straight out of the Roger Corman playbook, and you can't take anything inspired by Corman seriously.

I was really surprised at how much I liked this. This is the first movie of the year I'd consider seeing a second time.

I didn't have problems with the shaky camera use during the battle except at the endgame. It made a significant plot point a bit confusing because it was hard to tell what was going on.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-31-2012 09:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I notice the Moore Warren added a "Lie-MAX" auditorium. Did they convert one of the original 2 grand auditoriums to that sort of thing or did they do something else (add another auditorium to the building, convert another existing house, etc.)?

They also have a "Directors Suites" thing on the premises or nearby: 2 higher priced, luxury screening rooms with limited seating. The seats are like glorified Laz-y-boy recliners. More THX and Dolby Digital Cinema but with most of the bonuses that come with the balcony seating in the grand auditoriums.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2012 11:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Sam, I notice the Moore Warren added a "Lie-MAX" auditorium. Did they convert one of the original 2 grand auditoriums to that sort of thing or did they do something else (add another auditorium to the building, convert another existing house, etc.)?
Here's the info from their site: Moore Warren Imax

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-01-2012 12:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That still doesn't say whether they converted one of the theater's original pair of "grand auditoriums" over to an IMAX branded sort of thing or if the IMAX auditorium is a completely new addition to the theater.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2012 01:35 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, this IMAX is being built from the ground up, as opposed to being a retro-fit into an existing auditorium.
[Wink]

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2012 10:29 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Saw the film yesterday at the Century 22 in San Jose, CA. The presentation was very good.

Overall I must say that I enjoyed the movie. I agree with previous statements that the hand held camera work was annoying.

Mike

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-01-2012 10:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It's a whole new addition to the north side of the building.

If it's the same size and specs as the one in Wichita (and it certainly looks like a monster), you will have to see it to believe how unbelievably bad it is.

quote: Even More Bobby Henderson
They also have a "Directors Suites" thing on the premises or nearby: 2 higher priced, luxury screening rooms with limited seating. The seats are like glorified Laz-y-boy recliners. More THX and Dolby Digital Cinema but with most of the bonuses that come with the balcony seating in the grand auditoriums.
I actually wanted to try one of those (even at like $22 admission), but they'd sold out every show in them for the entire day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: