Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Author Topic: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2012 07:46 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a clear sufferer of Asperger Syndrome, Oskar (Thomas Horn) is not short of an anxiety or two or a measure of compulsiveness. As a result his loving and devoted father (Tom Hanks) devises a series of detective games designed to get his boy out into the world and interacting with the people and places in it, even printing faux business cards as a conduit for his son to meet people. When his father is killed in the 9/11 attacks, Oskar loses his mentor and emotional anchor. Upon rooting through his fathers stuff, he stumbles across a key which he interprets as another clue from his father's game and sets upon finding its corresponding lock. The key soon becomes a symbol of his lost connection with his dad and Oskar believes that if he finds the lock that fits the key he can somehow reforge that connection.

What's wonderful about this film is how everything is so understated. Things are hinted at but rarely explicitly articulated such as the Oskar's obvious Asperger affliction; how oskar's relationship with his mum (Sandra Bullock) is defined by her own barely concealed inner turmoil; and how the individuals Oskar encounters on his travels are clearly carrying their own grief (most likely related to the 9/11 events also). It's nice as an audience member to be treated with a measure respect and intelligence rather than be spoon fed every conceivable detail and emotion.

The film is not exploitative of 9/11 as some commentators have claimed. Rather it is a valid study on the immense grief caused by that event and the difficulties endured by the victims families to piece back together their broken lives. Understandably, this will be a difficult subject for some to proach but it's an important issue to come to terms with. It's as moving an experience as Paul Greengrass' United 93, driving home the point that we should make our connections with, and cherish, our loved ones before it's too late.

Performances are uniformly fine, particularly from Horn whose performance portrays an endearing portrait of uneasy childhood; he's an up and coming child actor to watch. Bullock is also excellent portraying the greiving mother with realistic, subtle complexity; struggling to maintain a facade of strength for her emotionally injured son made more difficult by his behavioural problems whilst simultaneously dealing with her own inner torment. Hanks is predictably solid as the perfect dad, entirely devoted to his son and tirelessly working to help him overcome his social anxieties.

If there's a flaw in the film it's that it fails to develop in continually interesting ways into it's third quarter, Oskar's journey is prolonged a little beyond the point being made and interest starts to wane. But director, Stephen Daldry, brings it home strongly in a final act which incites multiple instances of tear jerkiness, a staple requirement in a film such as this.

8 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 09:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it at our local cinema last week and was surprised how good it was. I know very little about "Autism", but what I found out later on made me realize that Thomas Horn really nailed the part, full credit to this talented young actor. It was also nice to see John Goodman as the doorman and Max von Sydow as The Renter who says nothing, but suited the part well.
This movie might not be for everybody, but would certainly recommend it.

Graham.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 11:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the other side of the fence, I thought this movie was seriously flawed - pure Oscar bait/fodder. Thomas Horn and his character - I just wanted to slap. The whole movie just felt so overly sappy and manipulative.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2012 07:06 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend has been diagnosed with Asperger and according to her, it was one of the more realistic displays of Asperger Syndrome she has seen in a movie.

Yet, that alone doesn't make watching this movie an above average experience [Wink]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stu, I just re-read your review and I must say it's a fine piece
of writing, about the best I can remember in FT and on a par with the best professional reviewers anywhere!
Now I've got to search for other reviews you may have written...

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2012 07:13 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Gerard. Very kind words indeed. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 06:27 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His review of Avengers is equally valid. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2012 10:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's possible to make a movie out of 9/11 that won't be seen as a money-grab or a publicity stunt. I don't know if the movies just aren't good, or if the idea of 9/11 movies just doesn't "feel" right yet, regardless of their quality. Probably a combination of the two.

Maybe the film world should take a hint from the Titanic and just wait another 75 years or so to make any more movies about 9/l1.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2012 07:12 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about United 93, Mike. Did you feel that was a money-grab or publicity stunt?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-10-2012 11:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never did see that one. But I remember lots of articles at the time that accused the movie of being "too soon" or "cashing in."

It's not the quality of the movies, it's how they're perceived -- that's what I was talking about.

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a pity if folk see such films as "money-grab or a publicity stunt" I dont see that being the case for both Extremely Loud and and United 93.

Regarding United 93. If you get the dvd check out the 60 minute documentry "The Families and the Film" and how they felt about it at a special screening put on for them by director Paul Greengrass prior to its cinema release.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2012 02:03 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ Agreed. But perhaps Mike's view is closer to the American sentiment on these films?? They were closer to the event, after all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: