Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pina

Author Topic: Pina
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one weird artsy modern dance movie. It is also one of the best 3-D movies I've ever seen.

Pina Bausch was a German choreographer/stage director. She died suddenly in 2009, 5 days after being diagnosed with cancer. Her company still performs today. The dancers are of all ages, not just young and athletic. The dance is also VERY physical...I'm sure there are MANY bumps and bruises when these dancers are finished.

I especially liked the grand procession, to Louis Armstrong's WEST END BLUES. Very stately and yet full of the joy of movement.

No story here, not even a biographical one. Just dance...strange, weird, hypnotic dance.

Wim Wenders use of 3-D here is exceptional. For much of the movie, the audience is thrust on to the stage with the dancers. Other scenes are in natural settings or in odd buildings or industrial locations. No 3-D tricks here, but a great sense of depth.

This is a real test for a sound system. Music ranges from orchestral to Louis Armstrong to solo voice. To play this movie properly you need a system with a strong dynamic range.

Not a movie for everyone, but worth checking out if you are in the mood to see something different from the mainstream. And this one is WAY out of the mainstream.

Mark & wife Kathleen both give this one a surprising A+.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, the only two movies I saw last year where I thought to myself "this HAS to be seen in 3D" were documentaries, Cave of Forgotten Dreams and this one. Everything else I could have just as easily lived with flat.

This is a very good movie, especially if you are into dance/choreography. I didn't know what to expect going in, but it sure blew me away. I have to say one thing about the late Ms. Bausch: she certainly had issues, as my lady friends like to say.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: