Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Grey (2012)

Author Topic: The Grey (2012)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2012 11:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this one a lot. It's a typical lost-in-the-wilderness story (plane crash, guys stranded in wilderness and threatened by wolves) and it's a bit high on the "yeeeeah, right" moments (in below-freezing temps, he falls in a raging river, then gets out and DOESN'T freeze to death? Yeeeeah, right).

But, the acting, the presentation of it all, the framing story and surprise ending of said story, and the sound mix overcome all those problems. This is a very gripping, white-knuckle thriller. I've seen so many movies that I don't usually "jump" in the right spots but this one really got me on the edge of my seat.

We have had a couple of complaints about the language, but I thought it was very true to the characters. The men in the movie are all oil field workers and I know for a fact that's the way a lot of those guys talk. In fact if anything the movie toned it down a bit.

The sound mix was tremendous. The plane crash segment, in particular, was inventive and well-done -- the whole thing is shown from inside the plane, which I think is a first for this type of scene.

The cinematography was beautiful and horrific at the same time. The wolf scenes -- done with real wolves -- are excellent. Ridley Scott proves again that he hasn't lost his touch at making a thriller.

4 out of 5 stars from me. My wife liked it as well as I did, in fact she may have liked it even more.

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Ridley Scott proves again that he hasn't lost his touch at making a thriller.
"The Grey" was directed by Joe Carnahan.

The trailer was misleading and it left me disappointed with the film. I was expecting more of an action film when what we really have is a drama. There are action sequences, of course. If I had been expecting a drama going in, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I have a feeling that this is one of those films I will appreciate more the next time I watch it.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2012 11:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you do know that there's a very brief shot/scene after the credits -

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

[ 02-20-2012, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anslem Rayburn
"The Grey" was directed by Joe Carnahan.
I know, but Ridley Scott was a producer. I equated this with Spielberg producing on "Poltergeist." That seemed like a Spielberg movie even though he didn't direct it.

About the ending -- we had a big crowd on Friday and told every single one of them to be sure to stay for the last shot after the credits. I'd bet that at least 90% of them didn't "get it" and were irritated that they'd waited all that time. They don't expect much subtlety from movies these days, I guess.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2012 11:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesly
I know, but Ridley Scott was a producer. I equated this with Spielberg producing on "Poltergeist." That seemed like a Spielberg movie even though he didn't direct it.

About the ending -- we had a big crowd on Friday and told every single one of them to be sure to stay for the last shot after the credits. I'd bet that at least 90% of them didn't "get it" and were irritated that they'd waited all that time. They don't expect much subtlety from movies these days, I guess.

[face palm]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 07:17 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except Ridley Scott really had nothing to do with the actual shooting of the film. He never even stepped on set according to his interview with Entertainment Weekly. Spielberg co-wrote "Poltergeist" & was all over the set during filming, to the point where some people speculated that he actually directed the majority of the film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2012 10:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK then, I stand corrected.

Actually, no I don't. Ridley Scott was still a producer, and I'm sure he still knows his way around a thriller. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2012 11:19 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anybody care to speculate on the ending? I had a couple of customers ask me what I think happened, and telling me their thoughts. My view is:

Some customers have thought:

And still others have thought:

Or is the ending just kind of vague on purpose so each viewer can draw his own conclusion?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 01:34 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anybody care to speculate on the ending?
Hmm, I guess not.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 02:37 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could either be your third one or your first but I'm pretty much in the third camp.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showed it this weekend, and holy hell, what an intense movie. Mike, I think I go with option three.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a couple more customers posit some theories on the ending. Here are #4 and #5:

and

Personally I feel that #1 is correct, because

The fact that people are talking to me about this movie 2 weeks after it left here validates that it was a really good movie even though some people didn't like the vague ending.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2012 07:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or does the 2K digital version look like a piece of junk? Especially in the "snowstorm" parts. It's more like looking at a bunch of JPEG artifacts jumping around on screen. Or, maybe, I was just sitting too close to the screen? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: