Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Safe House

Author Topic: Safe House
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2012 07:10 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of Denzel Washington. I find him a bland performer who either struggles (or is unable) to stretch himself beyond his stereotypical bland, amiable style. He's too......nice. Even when he's playing a bad guy he's almost impossible to dislike, and that's why I dislike him. And his films are usually vehicles to show us how nice he is (even when he's a bad guy). So I was expecting very little from Safe house which is what makes it so surprising.

The first indicator that Safe House may not be as asinine as it first appears is the impressive cast which also includes Ryan Reynolds, Brendan Gleeson, Vera Farmiga, Sam Shepard and Robert Patrick. Sure they're all in carbon copy roles that we've seen in a multitude of other films but their mere presence adds gravitas to their formulaic parts. Reynolds in particular stands out. His desk jockey who spontaneously transforms into a super CIA agent when thrown in the deep end is rather incredulous but Reynolds carries it well. And even Washington isn't all that bad.

The intense action sequences come thick, fast and soon; arriving in just the right frequency to hold us on the edge of our seat throughout, right up to it's fairly predictable and impossibly neat conclusion. Good undemanding fun.

7 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: