Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » One for the Money (2012)

Author Topic: One for the Money (2012)
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-29-2012 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on Friday with my wife who is a pretty big Stephanie Plum fan. So much so that when we started dating she made me read the first book. I was surprised to say that I enjoyed it. I subsequently also read books 2, 3, and 4. I only stopped there because I had too many other things to read and not a lot of time. But I do enjoy the series.

We were worried that this movie would go off the tracks, and she didn't want to tarnish her view of the character, but we held our breath and went to see it anyway. We both agree that it was actually pretty good. The principle actors that were chosen had us nervous going in, but they all seemed to fit their roles pretty well. I remember that there were quite a few "laugh out loud" moments in the book. I didn't notice much of that in the movie, although it did have it's funny parts. That could be because the scenes in the book would be difficult to translate to the movie without seeming ridiculous.

I am curious how this movie plays with someone who has not read any of the books. But we enjoyed it.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-29-2012 09:35 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Kansas City 18, Kansas City, KS
AUDITORIUM: 18
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Slight audio hum
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

I walk in the auditorium where an elderly man and an elderly couple are chatting. "And now they say there's as many guns registered as cell phones because people are just shooting each other for no reason! It's crazy!"

Elderly woman: "I have one."

"You DO?"

"Sure. We just filled out some paperwork and got one."

I hate Kansas City.

During "First Look", a teaser spot for Kia's Super Bowl (sorry..."Big Game") commercial aired. Then the audience was told to return Thursday to see the whole thing. Really? That's going to drive ticket sales?

THE PLOT: A Jersey girl becomes a bounty hunter. Wackiness ensues.

If Wife #1 were alive today, she would have dragged me to the first possible showing of this. She LOVED the Evanovich novels. And I firmly believe she would have thought this was the greatest movie ever.

It's high camp to be sure with almost television-level production values. It's also pretty funny and the audience...largely middle-aged women and older couples...loved it, laughing at some very odd points.

I'm kind of surprised this release was basically buried. I have a feeling it will develop a word-of-mouth audience when it hits video.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: