Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Artist (2011)

Author Topic: The Artist (2011)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dawn of the talking picture era has a different effect on the careers of a dashing silent film star and the up-and-coming ingénue that loves him.

This is a black and white, Academy aspect-ratio silent film (silent meaning mostly no dialog but with music and sound effects) that deals with the melancholy fate of those who cannot adapt, or more precisely will not adapt to change. And it’s a really great picture; the two leads pretty much nail their roles, the production values are top notch, and there is a great scene-stealing dog as well. Of course, you can pretty much guess what is going to happen every step of the way, but it is still a good redemptive power-of-love story. It adds to the movie that the two lead performers, while well known in their native France, are virtually unknown here. It helps a viewer to get into the story when there is no Hollywood star gawking to have to deal with.

This movie is getting a lot of Oscar talk, and I hope it comes away with something. It's just a good, pure, straight-up moviegoing experience.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-04-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all that Mark said. It's one of the best pictures of the year and will surprise you in spite of your cynical self.

I will add that you should see this with an audience. Otherwise it will be just like watching Chaplin or Lloyd on an iPod. Live a little.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2012 06:56 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer is excellent! I tear up every time as I do my changeover from the trailer to my main feature. [Confused]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-04-2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark-

Best Picture possibility?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2012 05:44 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who knows. The movies that seem to be getting the most Oscar heat so far are The Artist, The Descendants and The Tree of Life. All of those are very good movies in their own right. The Artist, while made in Hollywood, is mostly a European production with a largely foreign cast and crew. That doesn't matter to me, but who knows how the Academy will feel about it. They may decide that Terrance Malick is due.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-07-2012 09:50 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True enough Mark.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-28-2012 07:06 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: A silent film, yet one of the most talkative damn audiences I've ever had the displeasure of watching a movie with
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Seriously. It was like everybody needed to explain out loud everything that was going on to each other. Most bizarre observation of the night? "Look at that old light switch!" What the FUCK.

THE PLOT: The silent era ends. Wackiness ensues.

It looks like a silent film, it has a predictable love story, and it has a cute dog. It's a perfectly good watch.

I just don't get why everybody thinks this is so magically grand.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...because it's an "art" film, but I honestly liked it, even in digital.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make "Oscar night" anti-climactic once again, it seems very likely (or guaranteed) The Artist will win the Best Picture Oscar. It already won the Producer's Guild award for Best Picture. Basically the same people are voting for both awards. So, no guess work is really needed.

The Directors Guild also gave The Artist its top award (to director Michel Hazanavicius). That makes him almost a lock to get the Best Director Oscar.

Jean Dujardin will probably win the Best Actor Oscar since he has already won the Screen Actors Guild award.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know....Entertainment Weekly broke down the BP nominees and gave them all a percentage-chance of winning. "The Artist" had 20%, and "Hugo" and one other (which I don't remember) both had 15%. So even the "experts" aren't exactly being definitive.

I agree though, "The Artist" has that uniqueness that will probably make it win.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 08:23 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and then Joan Collins blew the whole thing by telling the press Artist was going to win BP.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 07:08 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed The Artist much more than I expected to. It takes a bit to get used to the lack of dialogue and the occasional lack of any sound. But the performances by Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo were fantastic.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 04:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just too bad that us that are playing it - either 35mm or digital (in which most of the 6 reels had good ol' fadein/out changeovers..) - can have adjustable maskings to come in and completely frame the sides of image, like a shadowbox image.

Excellent film, by the way ...

-Monte

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time, I had seen most of the films nominated for best picture of 2011 either in theatre or on a BD disc but I have not yet seen THE ARTIST. I had planned to wait for it to come out on Blue Ray but I think I will try to see it this weekend now that there are more theatres playing it. Because THE DESCENDANTS was filmed entirely in Hawaii and I had enjoyed it very much, the entire state of Hawaii and I were rooting for it to win for best picture, actor and director. My 2nd choice was HUGO. I will comment more after I see THE ARTIST.

-Claude

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: