Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Author Topic: The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-25-2011 03:20 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Sunset Station Stadium 13 & IMAX, Henderson, NV
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: LIEMAX Digital 3D
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

The LIEMAX auditorium ($17.25 per ticket for a 10:00am matinee) is a re-purposed large Act III stadium riser auditorium as far as I can tell. The screen is ridiculous. It's ceiling-to-floor (but NOT wall-to-wall) and there's a rail in front of it, which doesn't matter because they're just letterboxing the image on above it in basically the same frame space that Act III would have used for a scope picture anyway.

Presentation was clean and clear and absolutely not worth the extra money.

Oh...and they have cheap disposable LIEMAX glasses now? Nice.

Side note to Regal...will you please lose the stupid anti-TV ad you stick in front of every trailer package? It's just idiotic.

THE PLOT: Tintin goes on an adventure. This is apparently par for the course. Wackiness ensues.

Tintin is a comic book character dating back to 1929 and continues to have an international following even though the author passed away nearly 30 years ago...indeed, the movie sold a quarter billion dollars worth of tickets internationally before even being released in the US.

While I've long known of the Tintin brand, I've never been exposed to its subject matter. But this movie seems to play about right. It's nicely animated, has some good (and completely ridiculous) action scenes, and doesn't run too long. So there's that.

Still, the material feels as dated as it is (this particular story was developed from three stories published in the 1940's) and almost has a kid-like Indiana Jones vibe to it.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Jones was partly inspired by Tintin.

|  IP: Logged

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll follow your theater format, if you don't mind, Sam.

CINEMA: Regal Old Mill Stadium 16 & IMAX (Bend, Oregon)
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: D-IMAX 3D
PROBLEMS: Terrible sound, screen had markings all over, small even for a Digital IMAX.
RATING: 75/100

I wish Spielberg and company hadn't assumed that the audience was familiar with the characters. The central plot started nearly immediately, leaving no room for the audience to develop any sort of emotions or feelings towards any of the characters, specifically Tintin. Furthermore, Rackham's reasoning and goals were never made clear until the beginning of the third act, which left me in a sort of bewilderment through-out most of the film- A.) What's Rackham's deal, B.) Why does Tintin care so much, C.) What actually happens when they get the three scrolls that makes this whole adventure mean anything? None of these questions are answered until the beginning of the third act, and the answers themselves are uncreative and boring. Because of these points, most of the film seemed like aimless action lead by characters I had no reason to care about, which made the whole experience a bore. I have a couple other semantics complaints about the character Tintin, but I won't delve into those since they need to occur for the story to exist in the first place. However, the animation was gorgeous (don't see this in 3D... it nearly ruined it for me), the performances good but not notable, the music fitting, and the action well choreographed and creative (cutting between past and present was a nice touch).

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-27-2011 04:16 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Polar Express, Mars Needs Moms and now this.

Dead, cold eyes here people.

Please put this motion capture method to rest, PLEASE!

This would have been boffo if done in thye hand-drawn style of The Illusionist. Here, it looks like corpses reanimated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: