Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Warhorse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Warhorse
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty damned good. Photography is excellent. Prob. won't be one of Spielbergs greatest but a take on WWI from a different perspective, see it.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-27-2011 03:16 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Flicka met Saving Private Ryan

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-27-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking about SAVING PVT RYAN, the sound mix for WARHORSE during the battle scenes reminded me of the 'Ryan' film. It was just as dynamic as the WW2 film. The music score by John Williams was very lovely and I would like to get the sound track cd.

-Claude

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2011 08:21 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Flicka, but Lassie Come Home. Lassie taking a really, really long time to get home.

The scenery was indeed beautiful, but so many scenes could have been cut without losing any of the story, this should easily have come in under two hours.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-27-2011 09:17 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carol May
Lassie taking a really, really long time to get home.
Carol- that was hilarious !

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2012 05:40 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Valley River 15 & IMAX (Eugene, Oregon)
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: NEC 2K DLP
PROBLEMS: None.
RATING: 91/100

The music, the set pieces, the cinematography... a fantastic spectacle. The story was heartwarming and well crafted, albeit still cliched and sometimes too sappy. The ending was the only thing about the film that I can say I really disliked.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-01-2012 08:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a trailer for this movie and I was not interested because I don't care about horses. The dialog was mostly stuff like "Wow, that horse ran through a battlefield and didn't get shot. That horse must be extra special! Let's base our entire story around it!"

Suffice it to say I have no desire whatsoever to see this movie. They did a very poor job selling it to me with the trailer.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2012 10:37 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I wasn't sold by the trailer either, but it ended up as one of my favorites of 2011.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-02-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's even close to being the best of the year, just better than average in a year of fairly lackluster pics.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2012 07:04 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great in 35mm! May be the last New Speilberg film I ever handle.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2012 09:04 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this over at Landmark Bethesda on one of their smaller screens and even though I was too close to the screen for my taste, I was very impressed, the movie was better than his 'Tintin' Would like to see this again and hear it in 7.1 (if any theater in the DC area is in fact playing it as such).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-15-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's doing great business here, as will just about any good movie with a horse in it.

We liked it a lot. The war scenes were impressive. I'd like to know how they got horses to do some of those stunts...or was it CG? Either way, pretty amazing. The sound mix was very good, great use of surrounds and low end.

The story was a little predictable but
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Cinematography was beautiful, as it is on any Spielberg film.

Four out of five for me. My wife liked it just as much.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-18-2012 08:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'm curious about: Why do some movies (including this one) have the title at the very beginning of the end credits of the movie? I remember "The Lion King" having this and I seem to remember it on some other Spielberg movies too. Why do they do that when the title has already been shown at the beginning?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-18-2012 09:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same reason some movies have similar scenes between certain points (commonly the beginning and the end, but not necessarily). It's a psychological trick that's supposed to make you unconsciously (and quickly) review everything that happened since the last time you saw that same scene.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 8 year-old wants to see this. She's a pretty sophisticated movie-watcher, but she is, after all, 8. Is this okay for a kid?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: