Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US 2011) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (US 2011)
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 08:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is a veritable frame-for-frame remake of the 2009 Swedish feature which itself was a composit crafted for American audiences from the much longer Swedish TV miniseries.

This 2011 version is not bad but much like the Americanized remake of "Let The Right One In" it was completely unnecessary.

In the name of truth-in-advertising the title really ought be called "The Girl With the Dragon Tat-Two"

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree about the frame-by-frame remake. The new film spends more time with the relationship between the writer and the editor, and also shows the sexual relationship between Lisbeth and Micke that wasn't as graphic the earlier version. There is also a significant differnce in the end of the movie regarding the missing Harriet. We also see more of Lisbeth's relationship with her original guardian. I thought this was a better movie than the first.

I really enjoyed this...seemed to move well even with its length. Music is especially good...this is the music Lisbeth would be wanting to hear.

My rating - A-
Wife rating - A-

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am one of the lucky ones who did not see the original Swedish versions of both Let the Right One In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I absolutely loved Let Me In and I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. For a 2 1/2 hour movie, the pacing was spot-on and never dragged. I thought Rooney Mara was quite amazing and would not be surprised if she got an Oscar nomination if not a win.

I would definitely watch this again to catch all the little details of each scene/setting. Also, the score is another win from Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross. I can't forget to mention the opening credit sequence. It's pretty awesome looking which matches the cover of 'Immigrant Song' by Karen O (of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and Trent Reznor.

4.5/5

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-24-2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Green Valley Ranch Stadium 10, Henderson, NV
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: Sony 4K Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A Swedish miniseries is bastardized into a Trent Reznor music video. Wackiness ensues.

The thing about the subject matter is that translating this type of thing to a script can result in something that feels like it drags a lot, which I found amazingly not the case with the Swedish version. Not so much with the American version.

I wasn't happy with pretty much any of the end resolutions in this one versus the original.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Old Mill Stadium 16 & IMAX (Bend, Oregon)
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Sony Digital 4K
PROBLEMS: None, perfection.
RATING: 93/100

I haven't been as thrilled, excited, or interested in a film while sitting in the cinema as much as with this film in a long time. As soon as the opening credits sequence began I smiled like a kid on Christmas morning. The story was fascinating and riveting, the composition nearing perfection, the cinematography beautiful (see this in nothing other than Sony or DLP 4K), the acting, specifically by Mara, was captivating and mesmerizing, the music was ear candy, and the directing inspiring. Fincher has done it again... remarkable.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity, anyone else find the sound mix to be a bit on the low side. We had to turn our fader up quite a bit to compensate for the sometimes-hard-to-understand dialogue (especially with the accents). If it's just me, then I'll have to get our levels checked out.

Edit: What I mean to say is that the dynamic range seems a little wider than normal.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first 15 minutes the dialogue was a bit tough to comprehend, but after that I didn't have an issue.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and that's still 2K info being used in those 4K units..content just scaled up to fill the 4K chip.

And, if it was the twin lens setup, it's not even in HD being each dual image is only 858 x 2048.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-28-2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.5 stars. Good music, good sound mix, wonderful new star. Sure to see at least 4-5 Oscar noms. All Dolby presentation on white screen with Christie projector (Series 1) Baxter Ave #8, Louisville, KY.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..and that's still 2K info being used in those 4K units..content just scaled up to fill the 4K chip.
I'm not so sure about that... The files for our DCP trailers for TGWTDT are identified as being 4K on the server.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-28-2011 11:20 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie flopped big time.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-29-2011 12:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about providing a source with numbers?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-29-2011 10:54 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--------------------------------deleted--------------------------

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2011 10:59 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer

And, if it was the twin lens setup, it's not even in HD being each dual image is only 858 x 2048.

Depending on the theater... a good chunk of Regal and AMC's have 4K servers and get 4K (Dragon is more like 3K anyway) DCP's when they're available. Not the majority, but a good portion. And the difference is obvious to those with a keen eye. I'd appreciate it if every-time I say I've seen a film in 4K that you don't A.) Assume I can't tell the difference between 4/2K, and B.) Don't assume the theater I attend has the worst possible set up. Thanks. You'll know if I saw a movie with that kind of set up Monte, this is the place I'll complain about it. [Wink]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually 'Girl' was shot in Red Epic (5K) there was some press news that Sony is releasing this in actual 4K - was this also released in DLP 4K??

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: