Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Loews Lincoln Square with IMAX, New York, NY
AUDITORIUM: 13 (IMAX)
PRESENTATION: 15/70mm IMAX with Sonics-DDP sound
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: The screen was dimmer than I expected.
RATING: Six (out of ten)

So good to visit this place again after 6 years. It's pretty much changed, all the traditional screens are now Digital Projection, AMC lost it's THX certificate for the Loews auditorium, and peeking out on the window of the IMAX projection booth, the backup 35mm projector with SDDS is no longer there (or put away). I don't know if these were changed for the better, and I hope the sound system for the Loews auditorium wasn't touched. (Losing THX doesn't mean losing everything)

Anyways, I walked into the theater midway through the Dark Knight Rises Prologue. I was too occupied with buying popcorn and going to the bathroom, but at least I saw most of it, even though I couldn't understand what was going on.

The film itself looked pretty good. The 15/70 scenes obviously looked amazing compared to the embarrassingly bad 75% of the DMR'd film, but those select scenes actually looked inferior to The Dark Knight Rises Prologue. It looks like it was made on a digital intermediate, rather than DMR'd IMAX film and pure IMAX film spliced together, like how it should have been done. And because of this I'm starting to think the DKR prologue actually did go back to the cutting room for editing, rather than taking it digitally.

THE PLOT: ......

Brad Bird's first live-action film isn't necessarily bad. It feels like a Tom Cruise ego-trip that is, on the long run, a happy one.

Also, I did not expect the new Paramount logo to appear this soon. For a studio celebrating 100 years of existence, and that's the first time any film studio ever hit that age, the new logo was kind of underwhelming. Maybe I'm used to the previous one, growing up with it and falling in love with that mountain.

The new logo is below:
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen at 2-week old Rave Grove City Xtreme Screen, powered by Barco, as the short trailer said.

And this is a real bargain, at only a $6 (senior) admission...no upcharge for the larger theatre. 60' screen with a sound system that has a much better balance than the 2 local min-Imax locations. Low end was clean and tight, with some good chest-shaking sounds. Outstanding reproduction of small details in the track.

They showed a very very nice THX trailer. No mention in ads or in theatre of any THX certification, but this room sounded very much like the old 80's vintage GCC THX room that set the standard for sound in this area.

Now, the movie...don't expect any great character development or a plot that makes sense. You won't find it here. First and final sequences are OK, with typical MI touches, but that Dubai sequence at the Burj was terrific. Ridiculous, but terrific.

I'd give this one a B-...entertaining, but not something I'll remember much about. Wife would give it a D...she thought it was just a big cartoon (a point of view that does have some merit.)

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 09:24 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Connor Wilson
PRESENTATION: 15/70mm IMAX with Sonics-DDP sound
Can you be more specific regarding "DDP sound"? The DDP (3-CD) system does not have the running time capacity for a feature longer than about 75 (maybe 80) minutes (capacity of a CD).

The theater must use one of the DVD-ROM/hard drive audio players.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
Can you be more specific regarding "DDP sound"? The DDP (3-CD) system does not have the running time capacity for a feature longer than about 75 (maybe 80) minutes (capacity of a CD).

I am definite that IMAX's digital sound system was used in all IMAX presentations, film or digital. I am also definite that the system was developed by Sonics. Apparently, IMDB lists most IMAX films, mostly DMR, as the soundtrack being in Sonics-DDP, so I just decided to go with that.

IMAX doesn't go in-depth into their sound system other than generic and vague remarks like "laser-aligned sound" or a clip of the sub-bass blowing out candles. I'm definite the soundtrack for Ghost Protocol was DVD-ROM or hard drive, but I don't know the name for it. If IMDB listed Avatar (162 mins.) as Sonics-DDP, I suppose Ghost Protocol is too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly who cares if it's DDP or not now that Imax more or less absolutely sucks. We have a brand new Cinemark Next Gen screen just a hop skip and a jump from the house and it blows the Megaplex Imax off the charts. Bigger image and better sound, definately Barco and probably 4K. It's also less expensive and over there even I get the seniors discount!!

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-22-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the Sonics DDP system merely use uncompressed 16-bit LPCM audio? That would leave at best just under 80 minutes of audio capacity for a 700MB CD-ROM disc, with 3 discs being used to play back 6-channels of LPCM audio.

I wonder if the older, sprocketed magnetic reel to reel systems are being used for the longer running times, or perhaps maybe a DTS special venue system is being used.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Honestly who cares if it's DDP or not now that Imax more or less absolutely sucks. We have a brand new Cinemark Next Gen screen just a hop skip and a jump from the house and it blows the Megaplex Imax off the charts. Bigger image and better sound, definately Barco and probably 4K. It's also less expensive and over there even I get the seniors discount!!
Mark, is your Megaplex IMAX a digital setup (LIEMAX)? If it isn't, then that really sucks, but then again most films benefit just about NOTHING from the IMAX DMR treatment.

Around my area there's a Cobb 12-plex that opened this summer and it has three VIP auditoriums that have Barco 4K projection and JBL speakers, and I'm unsure if they have 7.1 sound too. Those theaters have wider leg room and reserved seating, and I've been to all three of them, but that's a different story. There was also some audio bleeding in the third VIP room coming from the second one.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain Lincoln Square's running DTAC for the sound. That aside, I sat through the entire prologue and had absolutely no idea what was going on. It was interesting and unique but it made no sense being out of context, feeling like something that was cobbled together for a Comicon crowd instead of a general audience. In fact, my friends were so lost they thought it was the start of MI4.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2011 12:31 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, they do use the "New" DTAC at that location. They get all the money from IMAX for upgrades.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen

Mark

Mark, I'm about sick and tired of your whole anti film bullshit that you've been screaming about for the past year, when prior to that you were all about Anti Digital pro Film. No digital IMAX or Digital screen for that matter is going to give you a better show then a true 15/70 IMAX screen. Your more then welcome to come down and see a show at my location, I'll even get ya in for free so you don't need to get a senior discount. Your hating of film just to hate film shtick is getting REALLY old.

quote: Jeffry L. Johnson
The DDP is the old style sound system used in IMAX's for the Documentaries. They would very between 3-4 disks. Now all soundtracks come on one DVD that is downloaded on to our DFP Hard Drive. The soundtrack is then selected on our Palm Pilot and then locked in on your sync point.

Now on to the feature itself, I've seen a few times now and have to say its a fun ride from start to finish. The IMAX shots look gorgeous as does the rest of the film. The true IMAX shots are used to great affect, the Dubai shots are spectacular. Everyone should go check it out at least once in the theater.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Bob Bregazzi
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2011 05:48 AM      Profile for Bob Bregazzi   Email Bob Bregazzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry guys but i do have to defend imax digital somewhat. i ran it for 18mths and have to say that for what it is, the results are excellent. the system was serviced by an imax engineer every 6mths over a 2 night period. 2nd night was all spent on audio & picture tune up. picture quality on imax 2d was outstanding and i would equate it to original 70mm. imax 3d only suffered slightly from light loss but put to shame bog standard digital 3d. sound quality imho was awesome. there is no way that you can compare imax digital with 15/70, they are 2 completely different systems and this is where imax have made the biggest balls up possible by not differentiateing between them. for someone who has seen 15/70 and then goes to see imax digital and is expecting to see the same, well they will be mightily dissapointed.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think DTAC is also known as DDP-II.

The audio files are uncompressed LPCM 44.1 KHz 16 bit.

DTAC, AE-1 and newer audio players ingest DVD-ROM to hard drive for playback of features.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-24-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before everybody else only half-reads these posts and starts screaming at Mark about a non-related subject ("film"), I will point out that the IMAX he's referring to is indeed digital.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THEATER: Regal Valley River Stadium 15 & IMAX (Eugene, Oregon)
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: D-IMAX
PROBLEMS: Volume was a tad too loud, other than that, perfect.
RATING: 83/100

This film has the best action set pieces of the year, uncontested. However, the story failed to do anything new. The villain was terrible, his only motive being a loon, and he had so little screen time that the idea of a villain was more present than the actual villain. The doomsday theme was necessary, I mean it is Mission: Impossible, but having to stop a nuclear bomb seems so trite. The film thew a lot of punches, but nothing that knocked me off my feet. I left the theater, ultimately, unimpressed. It's a fun action movie, but I can't say that it's a great film. But of course, the IMAX footage looked great, as always.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeffry, DTAC and DDP-II are two different systems that share common software.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 12-26-2011 01:17 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my video review of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Review)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: