Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » HUGO (An homage to silent films)

Author Topic: HUGO (An homage to silent films)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-27-2011 06:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I knew very little about the plot of HUGO but I was very interested in the film because it is the first 3-D movie by one of America's most respected film maker, Martin Scorsese. Very much like Alfred Hitchcock who had created a masterpiece when he had used 3-D for DIAL M FOR MURDER. I Think HUGO will be another one of Scorsese Memorable films and could be regarded as one of the best 3-D movie ever produced. As good as AVARTAR was in 3-D, HUGO, is Much better. AVATAR and many other 3-D movies can be viewed and enjoyed in 2-D but it is the 3-D in HUGO that make that movie something special. Even Roger Ebert who dislikes 3-D had only high praise for the use of the format in the movie.

Beside the 3-D, HUGO is a very entertaining film about a very young man and the French silent film maker Georges Melies.

Five out of five stars. In other words, Excellent!

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-28-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 15
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinama (3D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A kid fixes crap. Wackiness ensues.

This movie would have been in three and a half or even four star range if they'd limited the "Station Inspector" role. His shenanigans are completely unnecessary to the story and just by cutting most of him you could eliminate about a half hour from this movie.

Having said that, this movie has some really really good stuff in it, even if you spend the first hour wondering where exactly this is going.

Once you get there, you as film lovers will be sucked right in.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-28-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With due respect, I will have to differ with you Sam. In my opinion, the Station Inspector was a very important character in the movie. His presence added a lot of suspense to the story with his villainous portrayal.

-Claude

Graham Ritchie
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it last week and really enjoyed it. Martin Scorsese picked a top cast with Ben Kingsley, Christopher Lee, Asa Butterfield as the young kid I remember from "The Boy in Striped Pajamas", Emily Mortimer, Jude Law etc . The one actor I did not pick out was the station inspector, he reminded me of the French policeman from the British TV series "Allo Allo, in fact I thought he may have been the same actor, but turned out to be Sacha Baron Cohen and the last film I watched of his was Ali G Indahouse [Smile] Hugo included a nice tribute to the silent era with plenty of extracts from that time. The 3D was excellent and I might go and see it again [Cool]

Graham.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: