Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » J. Edgar

Author Topic: J. Edgar
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-13-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Regal Cinemas
4k Digital (at least mentioned before the feature)

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2011 11:55 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four stars? I guess that proves Eastwood is a better director than Spielberg. [Razz]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the near monochromatic color scheme of the film was fascinating - not a lot of surround sound, the mix sounded very mono-esque. I thought the acting was good, the story seemed a tad all over the place.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To describe the 35mm print quality in one word,Sharp!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-14-2011 09:09 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Four stars? I guess that proves Eastwood is a better director than Spielberg. [Razz]
No, I don't think it has anything to do with the Spielbery vs Eastwood argument. J. Edgar is a really good movie. It made me want to learn a lot about all of the characters in the movie, I am in Washington right now, and I want to check out the Hoover building. If a movie can make me do that and learn more, than it is a good movie.

As for Eastwood, I am beginning to have some issues with him. J Edgar is a really good movie, but not a "great film" and Clint Eastwood is trying to hard to win another Oscar and it shows. He is trying to hard to make a great, landmark film. Don't get me wrong, its very good but its not a a "great film" if you know what I mean. He needs to stick to smaller stories and he needs to star in the movie as well.

His score is the same in every movie, and he has not had a domestic hit in the USA in a long while.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2011 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The arguement Speilberg vs. Eastwood can be summed up easily. Speilberg makes movies. Eastwood tells stories.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 05:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
he has not had a domestic hit in the USA in a long while.
Depends on what you mean by "long while." "Gran Torino" was a smash and it was only 3 years ago.

quote: Tom Petrov
Clint Eastwood is trying to hard to win another Oscar and it shows. He is trying to hard to make a great, landmark film.
Here, you have completely lost your mind. Eastwood has reached the status where he probably doesn't give a crap about winning another Oscar. And why would he do anything BUT try to make a great film? Besides, nobody can make a "landmark" film on purpose.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd argue a film like the King's Speech was possibly conceived to just win awards.

Most over-rated best picture ever!

AJG

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 09:00 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Does J. Edgar parade around in a drag in the movie?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2012 03:54 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously J Edgar got a yawn from the critics, but I did find it entertaining, and the make up and prosthetics they used on DeCaprio were over the top IMHO. Anyone who has read up on the topic and/or lived through parts of it will find there's nothing really new to learn, but those who aren't as familiar with the topic really should see it--it appears to follow the facts fairly closely.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: