Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Puss in Boots (2011)

Author Topic: Puss in Boots (2011)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is a real kick. I had gotten a little tired of Puss when he was in the last Shrek movie, but this film redeems the character and sends things off on a new angle with style.

This movie is going to make the people who don't like current 3-D because "there's not much stuff coming at you" very happy. This show has LOTS of stuff coming at you, and really draws the viewer in to the action. Animation continues to get better and better and this is the best 3-D animation I've seen yet. It leaves "Cars 2" in the dust.

Storywise, it's a lot of fun too. The moviemakers take just about every quirk and habit of cats and work them all into the story in some way. The "twist" in the plot is not given away in the trailers, which is nice.

The movie is low on bathroom humor (no fart jokes), there is no cheesy "you are special" or "be yourself" message, the environment is not an issue, and there is plenty of subtle adult humor for the grownups and lots of action for the kids. Very simply, it's just a lot of fun and will bear more than one viewing to catch all the subtle bits.

Also refreshing: There is no chart-topping pop song crammed into the movie either. (There is a Lady Gaga tune sung in Spanish, but it doesn't detract.)

And one more thing I liked -- there's no "setup" for the next story at the end. I was expecting one of those scenes where they dash off for another adventure, but that doesn't happen. This movie has the confidence to stand on its own.

I had a great time and we'll definitely be watching this one again. Four out of five stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 02:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing the "Xtra Bright" version..

"ehhh-it looks good, but don't know if it justifies over the regular 3D version..."

Does look good though from what I've seen so far - might have to drag myself and the wife to see this one .. - Monte

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I was just too distracted thinking about various things, but I actually thought the movie dragged on way too long for something at is less than 90 minutes. Visually it looked very good, but I wasn't enthralled by the story.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Mike this stomps on 'Cars 2'. The story is great, the characters, the inventive use of split screen, the camera movement/action that is exhilarating! The obligatory obnoxious pop references that litter the Shrek films are kept to a minimum here (thankfully) - I want to see this again (but in a 7.1 theater)

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 03:12 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin I agree a 100% with you, myself and my fellow IMAX projectionist were starting to get bored. It feels way way longer then it should for a kids movie. One of the many flashback scenes felt like it took a life time, I agree with what one character ended up doing during the scene. However the animation was spectacular as stated above, the scenes flying over the desert were really cool and had a great 3D effect.

2.5/5 [thumbsup]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 09:33 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started to watch it last night, (In Tech-3D) but I
kept dozing off. I'm not sure if it was the movie or
the fact that I've worked three 14hr shifts in a row.
So maybe I'll give it another try tonight.(On my 4th shift)

When threading the 2nd show, I noticed a hair in the gate.
Ironically, it was a cat hair. Probably came of my shirt-
but then again, maybe not.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 02:25 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the best Tech 3d I have seen to date.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 09:58 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Needless to say, it was a real blast, although I still missed Shrek and Donkey a little. Didn't try the 3D version. I'm one of the unfortunates that get a headache from 3D.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-26-2011 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not often that I leave a movie half way through. I left after 20 minutes of this movie. I thought it was terrible. The 3D was spectacular to look at, but the story just wasn't doing a thing for me.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that this is a film that will have those that like and those that dislike with little between.

Put me in the "dislike" column. I found it boring (even started to nod off) and without almost any entertainment value. It seemed to be over the head of younger kids and below that of older ones.

Puss was my least favorite character of the Shrek series so I was probably predisposed to dislike this movie.

1 out of 5 for me.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-27-2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 6
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema (2D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: To make crime pay. Wackiness ensues.

Not as clever as I'd hoped for, but still entertaining. Won't make the home video collection, though.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-01-2011 09:06 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
When threading the 2nd show, I noticed a hair in the gate.
Ironically, it was a cat hair. Probably came of my shirt-
but then again, maybe not.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: