Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Author Topic: Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2011 02:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really watch this kind of movie much until I got married and started watching them with my wife. I was a bit more willing to see this one though, because I'm a Steve Carell fan. I think he deserves more respect as an actor.

This movie was surprisingly enjoyable, not so much due to Steve Carell -- he's fine, but he's downright subdued in this show -- but for others in the cast. Emma Stone was perfect in her role, and I really got a kick out of Ryan Gosling. The guy who played Steve's best friend was good too, he deserved more screen time. Kevin Bacon was funny as a bit of a buffoon. And the real surprise Johah Bobo, who plays the 13-year-old kid. He was hilarious when needed, but played the lovestruck teenager part to the hilt.

The only time the movie jumped the shark, to me, was at the very end when
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

The movie also has one problem that all romantic comedies do, and that's the big speech at the end. There's always one character who has a big scene where he (or she) pours out his/her heart and wins back the girl (or guy). But in this case the big scene is sweet and heartfelt, and probably rings quite true with a lot of married couples.

Outside of my one objection mentioned above, I really liked this a lot. Probably the best rom-com I've seen in 5 years or more. I will give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 08:55 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually loved the scene at the end! I thought it was really sweet and NOT skeezy, and I figured any movie that could pull that off had done a good job with the characters. And Jonah Bobo. Wow. That kid has depth. I hope we see a lot more of him. (And, of course, Emma Stone, who is Lauren Bacall + the internet.)

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 07:26 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amidst the current trend of comedies which walk the tight rope between comedy and vulgarity, Crazy, Stupid, Love marks a refreshing entry teetering upon the edge between comedy and tragedy. It's a delicate balance which escapes many (dare I say most?) film makers who are under the impression that making comedy is easy. Crazy, Stupid, Love makes no such allusions.

Crazy, Stupid, Love admirably goes for broke in it's quest for perfect comedy and very nearly hits the mark. It's mission is a difficult one, stepping about the minefield of relationship double standards is a tricky task and somewhat of a speciality for Steve Carell who has forged a career from uncomfortable comedy. Unfortunately Carell is not my favourite comic and this, combined with an over reliance on the charm of Ryan Gosling (his magic doesn't work on me either), results in a first hour which consistently veers towards the tragic where laughs are scant and the mood is dry. Julieanne Moore doesn't help much; she's great with drama but comedy? Not so much.

Thankfully the film picks up immensely in it's second half with Marissa Tomei and Emma Stone adding some much needed colour, both actresses adept at portraying drama from behind a thin facade of joy in stark contrast to the dour delivery of Carell, Gosling and Moore.

With the convergence of all the narrative threads, however, the film finishes very strongly and the cleverness of the script is revealed to be significant. A film of two parts for me, then: a good part and a bad part; thankfully finishing on the good part so that the overall impression of the film is positive.

7.5 out of 10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: