Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Help (2011)

Author Topic: The Help (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-03-2011 06:32 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Colonnade Stadium 14, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Some dickhead employee wandered in with his walkie talkie cranked up
RATING: Four stars (out of four)

Another Act III Stadium Riser with Regal seats. And awesome air conditioning. SOOO awesome air conditioning.

THE PLOT: Courage. Wackiness ensues.

Although set in a different era and with different themes, this movie reminded me a whole lot of "Fried Green Tomatoes" in its pacing, balance between humor and drama, and cinematography. They somehow made a movie with a racial divide theme fun to watch. It's perfectly balanced.

Several powerful performances are getting Oscar buzz.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2011 07:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let the hype fool you...this is NOT a "chick flick".

This is an outstanding movie. Viola Davis should get a well deserved Oscar nomination for this one. Her character shows a weariness that shows how hard it was to be a maid in Mississippi.

Octavia Davis as Minnie gets the biggest laugh in the picture. She should get a supporting actress nomination...she is terrific.

The picture is long at 146 minutes, but moves very well. It really held my attention.

My rating -- A-
Wife rating -- A-

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2011 11:29 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little reluctant... ok a lot reluctant to try this one on for size, but was I surprised! One of the best flicks this year. I'm hearing the same thing from friends who were not too pumped to see it and came out totally converted. Awards are in order!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see this one -- just happened to be out of town when we played it. But I am curious how come every time a black woman is in a drama, everyone starts yelling that it's an Oscar-worthy performance. Seems to happen every year, ever since Oprah was in "The Color Purple."

(I guess it's because if you say a black woman gives a bad performance, that makes you a racist.)

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
But I am curious how come every time a black woman is in a drama, everyone starts yelling that it's an Oscar-worthy performance.
Every time? I must have missed the discussion about Beyonce's snub by not getting nominated for Obsessed.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 02:32 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Jorgenson
Every time? I must have missed the discussion about Beyonce's snub by not getting nominated for Obsessed.
To be fair that was more of a thriller then a drama, crazy white girl doesn't really scream drama [Big Grin]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 04:22 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say a thriller is part of the drama genre. In any case Obsessed sucked!

Of course, that's off topic. The Help was quite enjoyable.

... should get some Oscar nods. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: