Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-22-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

So the pre-show television-grade commercial nonsense ends and the Texas Instruments DLP thingie plays, then two cinema-grade local commercials that always play with the trailers play, then the Dolby Digital Cinema trailer plays, then the movie starts.

NOT ONE MOVIE TRAILER.

Hmmm.

THE PLOT: A wimp transforms. Not like a Transformer...more like Charles Atlas. Wackiness ensues.

I really liked the period piece feel of this. Hugo Weaving was an awesome villain. The confrontation between him and Captain America on the bridge as they separate was a great scene.

I don't think this one will be a long term memorable feature, but it's solid anyway.

I'm told there's no scene after the credits, and I didn't stick around to find out. The scene that's usually there actually ended the feature this time.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2011 03:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Hugo call anyone "Mr Anderson"? Because that is always what I expect from him when he's onscreen in any movie. It was very distracting in Lord of the Rings and I simply could not buy whatever character he played. Matrix ruined him for all other movies.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-22-2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly, even without him wearing the sunglasses, I couldn't help but keep thinking the same thing.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like "Al Bundy" syndrome. Do you ever see Ed O'Neil in anything and not think "Hey that's Al Bundy playing that ____"

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd argue Weaving pulled off Lord Elrond, specifically because he wasn't a villain that time.

AJG

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One has an entirely different problem when their introduction to Hugo Weaving is from The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

In some ways, I'd prefer to expect "Mr. Anderson..." [uhoh]

David Bowler
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 07:08 PM      Profile for David Bowler   Email David Bowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a teaser for The Avengers after the credits.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a scene at the end of the credits with Nick Fury as well as a preview for The Avengers.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's on-screen right now for the first time at our place, and I'm a bit confused. This is susposedly period set back in the 1940's right? Just saw a guy in some control room watching a dude blow up stuff with a tank via an LCD COLOR monitor and a PAN-TILT VIDEO CAMERA? Since I was born in '67, I can't really recall if they had LCD monitors and pan-tilt video cameras in the 40's.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-28-2011 12:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I'd argue Weaving pulled off Lord Elrond
He did, but it didn't make it to the final cut.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [sex] [sex] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Wink] [Wink]

On a side note, is The Avengers going to be in 1.85? That seems odd.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2011 01:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the tea joke, this isn't worth your time. [Razz]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to see that one Brad, even if everyone hated it. Besides, the cast at least makes it interesting.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-28-2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Matrix ruined him for all other movies.
I agree Hugo Weaving was such a good villian in The Matrix it doomed him to being typecast. I think Alan Rickman's career suffered for some years after he played "Hans Gruber" in Die Hard over the same kind of thing. Even 20 years later whenever Rickman is in a new movie, like one of those Harry Potter installments, I always think of him as Hans Gruber.

quote: Barry Floyd
Just saw a guy in some control room watching a dude blow up stuff with a tank via an LCD COLOR monitor and a PAN-TILT VIDEO CAMERA? Since I was born in '67, I can't really recall if they had LCD monitors and pan-tilt video cameras in the 40's.
The earliest black and white studio video cameras from the 1940s had very limited capability. Any pan/tilt movement would have been built into the large pedestal holding the camera body, if the pan/tilt capability was there at all. The very first color video cameras weren't introduced until the 1950's.

Additionally color TV production and broadcasting wasn't widespread (from large to small market TV stations) until the mid 1970s. I remember it being a pretty big deal when the Far East Network TV station aboard Marine Corps Air Station, Iwakuni, Japan upgraded to doing the news in color in the late 1970s. Many of the movies they aired were ran on film and converted to a video signal and broadcast as the film ran. They even shot some of their news footage on film. It took a few years for that FEN station to complete the transition to video.

LCD-based devices didn't appear until the 1970s. Wrist watches and digital displays for electronics devices were among the first devices. The first LCD-based color computer monitors didn't go into production until the mid 1990s. At that time a 21" CRT with 1600 X 1200 resolution was the top end for computer monitors.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2011 04:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Other than the tea joke, this isn't worth your time.
I'd likely rather watch that Avengers rather than the Avengers which is forthcoming. For one thing, it's guaranteed to be a lot less confusing since there aren't two dozen characters to keep track of each with their own little subplot. I can't imagine the comic book Avengers movie being any good, but comic fans will love it nonetheless.

I imagine to keep the confusion down, the Avengers will "group up" into two or three different groups, maybe four. Mark my words. It's the only way it could be somewhat coherent.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-28-2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, for a moment I thought you were going to post THIS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: