Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Company (NY Philharmonic)

Author Topic: Company (NY Philharmonic)
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A special semi-staged production of Stephen Sondheim's COMPANY was presented with the NY Philharmonic earlier this year. This production starred Neil Patrick Harris, Patti LuPone, Christina Hendricks, Jon Cryer, Stephen Colbert, Martha Plimpton among others. It was broadcast to theatres beginning on June 15.

This is a magnificent production of a very difficult show. Performances are just about perfect. It sure is hard to get Neil Patrick Harris away from Doogie Howser, but the guy is terrific in the role of Bobby. Patti LuPone sings a very cynical version of "Ladies Who Lunch" and somehow, Katie Finneran gets out all of the words to "Getting Married Today".

Camera work is very good and very well planned. Sound was goodwith clear dialog, but it seriously lacked in dynamic range...it sounded VERY compressed.

Midway through the first act, the picture dropped out and suddenly we skipped about 45 minutes ahead to the start of the second act. I told the manager who quickly went to the booth. They ran the first song of the second act, then stopped, apologized to the audience and went back to the spot where the picture had skipped. It looked like they were playing the movie from a blu-ray, as you could see the menus. When the show got back to the place with the skip, there was a very slight pause, then the first act continued. Passes were given to the audience as we left. In all, not a bad recovery.

Seen at the Gateway Theatre in Columbus, OH.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2011 04:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at the AFI Silver last night and even being a THX certified auditorium - I thought the image looked too dark - I think though that was artisic decision on the lighting director and not the projector setting. I also thought the soundmix sounded a bit off - no where as good as the soundmix of 'Rent: Live from Broadway'

I thought Neil's rendition of 'Being Alive' was great

'A Hundred People' was another standout song for me.

The Silver used the screen curtain for the intermission - classy! and a raffle for two tix to see 'Sweeney Todd' (at Wolf Trap) was given out prior to the screening - snazzy! (I didn't win [Frown] )

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: