Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Super 8 (2011) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Super 8 (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-10-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

First thing I see on the outside marquee..."JUDY MOODY & THE NOT BUMMER SUMMER". Huh???

THE PLOT: A B-movie production is interrupted by an actual B-movie. Wackiness ensues.

Well, the 8-14 age group should love this. For us older punks, there's nothing here we haven't seen before. Lots of ideas ripped off from Spielberg flicks, but an overall feel that reminds me more of a Michael Bay production than anything.

I bought into the hype and expected way better.

Stuff shown during the credits was the best part.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avalon Theater / 35mm / Dolby Digital

the movie felt more Spielberg than Abrams - I was almost expecting some rolling clouds (Close Encounters, Poltergeist) and more slow camera pulls to mesmerized face shots. I thought the one F-bomb felt unnecessary and just there to push the film into it's PG-13 rating (there's a similiar scene in 'X-Men First Class' where the expletive is used just for shock value [thumbsdown] ) .

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 10:14 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was about 3/4ths of a good movie. It was trying really hard to pay tribute to other (better) films from the past like E.T. and The Goonies, but the plot and emotional attachment just wasn't there. The plot itself just kind of meanders for an hour and a half, and things don't really start coming together until the last 30 minutes or so. Without spoiling anything, the ending was a let down, and incredibly anti-climactic. I get what Spielberg and Abrams were trying to accomplish, but the script could have benefited from another rewrite, so as not to make it seem like they were just half-assing it at the end.

On the plus side, the child actors were all very good, especially for relative unknowns, and their performance was enough to take this otherwise mediocre material and make it somewhat enjoyable. I'd give it a 7/10, don't rush out to see it, just wait for the rental.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2011 01:59 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie. Don't insult the movie by comparing it to Michael Bay crap. The style is definitely more Speilbergian than Bayish. Yes, the ending could have used a rewrite and fleshed out an extra 5 minutes. Kind of retro style works. Not just the 70s setting, but the tone reminds you of those old action movies. The monster part though is predictably JJ Abramsish which is both a positive and negative.

Dakota Fanning;s younger sis loooks older than her. Well cast.
I saw it in AMC IMAX Barret Parkway.
1) Was I the only one who noticed a weird geometric distortion of the people where they get slightly stretched horizontally (face area makes it obvvious) and then they look normal again. One scene where it was obvvious was the beginning where the dad kicks the Ron Eldard character out of the house and they focus on the son's face and as they fade out , his face shape gets less stretched. I noticed similar distortions a few other times in the movie.

I had a free AMC ticket to be used for any movie. SO I decided to cash it in for the LieMAx showing. Good pic and sound, but hardly IMAXian in dimensions for what would normally be a 16 dollar ticket. Also because of the screen curve, the horizontal borders of the picture are slightly bowed in shape. Looks cheap.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2011 02:05 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
Was I the only one who noticed a weird geometric distortion of the people where they get slightly stretched horizontally (face area makes it obvvious) and then they look normal again. One scene where it was obvvious was the beginning where the dad kicks the Ron Eldard character out of the house and they focus on the son's face and as they fade out , his face shape gets less stretched. I noticed similar distortions a few other times in the movie.

I noticed the same thing in Star Trek (2009). I'm guessing it's a J.J. Abrams thing to use wide angle lenses for a lot more scenes than most directors would. That's just my guess though. Whatever he's doing, I love the look of his films... lens flares and all.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brendan Vacaville 16, Vacaville CA
Auditorium 4 10:05am
35mm Presentation.

I was hoping to be blown away more due to the hype than I was, but I enjoyed it like a good popcorn movie that it was. The kids really stole the show in this one. The end credits segment was probably the best part of the show.

Presentation was good as always at this theater. Not a speck of dust on the print or trailer pack. For some reason, however the entire feature ran in SR and the image was a tad softer than I tend to like but not grossly out of focus. Oh and house lights did not come back until the film tailed out.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2011 06:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, hoped to enjoy it more than I did. I have to agree with Michael and Sean that the child actors' performances really added to the enjoyment of the film. About the only other thing I can add is that they should pass out glasses that have the ability to filter out the entire blue band of the visible spectrum. Seriously. The lens flares were literally distracting me from the story.

I wish I had known there was good stuff in the credits. I would have stayed. I'm sure I'll be able to catch them some time, though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-15-2011 01:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Flatirons Crossing 14, ???, Colorado
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Christie DLP I believe, ETX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: I'm sure AMC would insist that there were none since it functioned the way they designed it. See below.
RATING: 3 Earls out of half an apple.

The movie: I enjoyed it. Wasn't the best movie ever, of course, but I thought it was enjoyable. I didn't stay for the credits so I didn't see any of that nonsense. This might be one I pick up on Blu-ray, nothing about this movie really let me down. I don't think there was a single known actor in this movie (or at least, known to me) and that really helps bring you into the story. You get into the characters easier that way instead of looking at the screen constantly thinking "There's Tom Cruise, what a dickmunch". And that's a good example, too, because Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise. He can't convince you he is anyone else and very few actors can.

As for the auditorium and presentation itself, I saw this in AMC's much lauded ETX auditorium. What does ETX stand for? It stands for (and this is factual information) Extreme Treble EXperience. I had a representative from AMC's corporate divulge the secret to how they make an ETX auditorium. First, they take a normal auditorium, make everything is digital and 3D, blah blah blah. Then (and this is the secret ingredient), they go into the EQ settings and turn the 4K for each speaker ALL THE WAY UP. Then, they take the surrounds and turn them down to about 75db instead of 83. Then they take the subwoofers and turn them down to about 45db. Then they turn off half of the subwoofer amps and saw off the power cords for the amplifiers to ensure very few low frequencies ever play in the auditorium. They want you feeling the treble on your skin, not the bass. Then they turn the volume knob to 8.5. That's it!

Yup, that's right! AMC's ETX auditorium is a candidate for the worst-sounding movie theater I have ever heard. Any, and I mean ANY auditorium anywhere can achieve the same exact sound quality by following the instructions in the paragraph above, for free. It sounds very distorted and is physically painful to listen to, and I like my movies damn loud. It's just that AMC doesn't have anyone who knows how to EQ an auditorium to save their lives. There is nothing special at all about ETX and AMC charges much more for this. AMC is assuming the customer is a downright idiot. Nobody in the auditorium seemed impressed. In fact I think one guy in front of me might have went to complain early on because he mentioned it was loud during the ETX snipe (yes, they have an ETX snipe which is all volume, no surround and no sub). AMC claims 7.1 audio and 600 amps piping 20 million watts to 230 speakers or some bullshit that doesn't make a shit of difference. Big time failure here, AMC. I am a fan of good sound, why can't ANYONE in Colorado deliver? I have yet to "experience" Regal's RPX or Cinemark's XD disasters, however. The Tamarac Square 6 sounded much better and we were a piece of shit who had no business having good sound!

One other thing; the movie was scheduled to start at 9:10. The trailers did. The actual movie itself started around 9:29. That's a little much, don't you think? It is bullshit like, movie theaters, this which will lead to your doom. It will all be your own fault. Stop this shit right now, all of you (including members here reading this). I can't wait for this VOD crap to kick in so you'll stop showing so many trailers like you promised.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-15-2011 03:43 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Super 8: The IMAX EXPERIENCE

I loved it. While the movie is heavily influenced by Steven Spielberg, I have to say that with a summer full of so many sequels and 3D movies, it was a pleasure to see something kind of original, even though it is a direct knock-off of Spielberg's stuff. Super 8 is like E.T, Close Encounters, The Goonies, War of the Worlds all rolled into one. I guess original is not the word I should use, more Spielberg nostalgia...

By far the best part of the film were the actors. They worked well, Elle Fanning was the stand out. They were a bunch of nobody's but by the end of the film, I want to know who Fanning was. The special effects were fine, as they played secondary to the story. I really liked the 70s settings.

Unfortunately, Toronto media totally ruined this movie is some way. The National Post had a front page Entertainment section stating "J.J.(in E.T font) Abrams really likes E.T." and then the radio station simply states, J.J. Abrams see's Aliens. Its sad and unfortunete because there are some folks who try to stay away from spoilers, trailers etc. It was not hard to figure out that the alien wants to go home and that he is trying to build his spaceship....thanks Toronto media.

So there were a few flaws, the connection between humans and alien was not there...but that didn't really matter. It was kind of convienent that the past relationships between father/daughter got patched up so easy near the end...and finally I did not like the choice of music during the credits, it should of just been the music score. I think the closing credits are an important part of the movie expeience, especially if it is a good movie.

Where the movie did go from *** to **** was the letting go of the locket, I thought that was a good touch. I also loved the short film at the conclusion, that was a very interesting surprise that I did not see coming.

Overall, once I heard that this movie was very similar to past Speilberg movies, it was then on my to-do-list and I had to see it, I actually seeked out IMAX as I have always enjoyed The IMAX EXPERIENCE in AMC IMAX theatres. I also knew going in thanks to the Toronto media about the spoilers..even though I knew this, there were still a few surprises.

I mention earlier about Spielberg nostaliga, for some reason, the entire time I was sitting there watching this movie, I felt as though Super 8 was some sort of test film to see if audiences would still respond to past Spielberg type movies.

It would be interesting to see the reaction from the younger generation who did not grow up watching Steven Spielberg movies.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 10:41 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, people- the end credits bit started just about right when the credits started (this movie has no opening credits so the end starts with what would have been the opening credits there), so it's not even like this was at the VERY end like some movies put 'hidden' stuff- was the experience really that awful that you just HAD to get out of there right away? I'll never understand why people go to movies then want to leave as soon as possible- why not even hang out in the theater and discuss it after it's over, maybe even stick around to see it again if the ushers don't throw you out??

Anyways, I haven't seen too many recent movies but I saw this today at the Esquire IMAX in Sacramento because my dad wanted to see it. Thought the movie was entertaining but nothing exceptional. Certainly wasn't worth the $16 per person to get in (my mom and dad were a little less since they're senior citizens now.) There were only about 20 people at the showing on a Saturday- they probably would've gotten a lot more customers and taken in more money altogether had the tickets been reasonably priced. I live close enough to it that I could go to every movie they show but because of the prices I only go once every few years. This theater is still running film; focus seemed a bit off but probably still better than anyplace else in the area who might be running it in 35mm.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2011 10:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
It's just that AMC doesn't have anyone who knows how to EQ an auditorium to save their lives
Gee, and I be that a lof of us know how to make a house sound good and being paid peanuts whereas, I bet, that the AMC EQ'ers are paid tonnage for stuff they don't know what they're doing ....

..something is wrong here for sure

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2011 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Skeen
so it's not even like this was at the VERY end like some movies put 'hidden' stuff- was the experience really that awful that you just HAD to get out of there right away?
If I have no idea that there are scenes in the credits, I have zero reason to hang around. Even if the music is awesome, I don't want to sit there and listen to it in a movie theater auditorium with a bunch of idiots (re: average moviegoers) or ushers as I'd rather listen to it privately at home. I'm perfectly content to talk about the movie in the car where it is far quieter rather than shouting about it over the credit music. It's not like the movie-going experience is so enthralling that I am paralyzed in my seat because I am so mesmerized that I must "recover" from the "experience" before I am able to move and leave.

quote: Jesse Skeen
maybe even stick around to see it again if the ushers don't throw you out??
I would, but I have this thing I need to tend to called "life". I do not have unlimited free time like you apparently do.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 06-18-2011 11:44 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll never understand why people go to movies then want to leave as soon as possible-
Well, I don't usually stick around for bad movies. If the movie is above 2stars in my book. I always stay for the credits, I don't stay hoping to find some extra in the end, I stay because it completes the whole experience IMO.

I think the credit music is very important and can ruin my opinion on the film, Buried and Super 8 have the wrong music for the credits. Buried should of been a sombre score during the credits while Super 8 should of been an extension of the film original score.

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2011 04:51 AM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Brother and I saw this last week at the Beacon Cinema's in New Smyrna Beach in 35mm. Interestingly his reaction was pretty much the same as mine. The movie was very enjoyable, with a lot of eye candy for the disaster minded. I didn't think the train wreck would ever end. The story line was unusual enough to keep my curiosity on edge. It accomplished what we went to the theatre for... a couple hours away from the reality we face every time we dare turn the TV on. Now that can be a real trip! I did notice several times especially during the train wreck, discoloration and splotches, some I'm sure were lens reflections from filming at night, but other times it appeared as if someone just purposely placed horizontal streaks across the print. They were somewhat annoying and happened more than a few times. It looked like pretty shoddy work in processing the print. Maybe it was an attempt to turn patrons off to film... but, I don't think they will ever clean up digital enough in my lifetime to merit abandoning film. Wonder what will replace digital when the sunspots wipe out electronics next year? Maybe carbon arc?? That would make a good plot for a movie!!

Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2011 08:22 AM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wonder what will replace digital when the sunspots wipe out electronics next year? Maybe carbon arc?? That would make a good plot for a movie!!"

Nope...calcium carbide lamphouses and handcranked projectors...hehe!!! that would be funny...downside is we won't have film-tech for the technical instructions to operate the projectors.

how about a change over using handcrancked projectors?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: