Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » JAWS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: JAWS
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Landmark's Esquire, Denver Colorado
AUDITORIUM: 1 (downstairs)
FORMAT: 35mm Scope/ Original Mono.
PRINT: A- (just a few minor scratches)
PRESENTATION: Sound and picture were great. Comments from the peanut gallery were annoying. Landmark needs to do a better job of shutting people up.

I've seen JAWS in the theatre about a dozen times over the past couple of decades, and it never fails to impress on the big screen. I hope I still have the chance to take my kids to see it when they are old enough.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-05-2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently handled a 35mm print that had SRD and was not mono. Judging from amplifier activity, it looked like full 5.1

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2011 10:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it on 35mm in both mono and 5.1 I loved the mono mix, but the 5.1 really brings the music out. Even though the 5.1 mix has some new effects created, the music is so good that I preferred the 5.1.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-05-2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was the color? Any idea if it was an original print or a reprint?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 08:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JAWS seems to be getting a lot of attention lately. I've been seeing ads around the Net for the audiobook version-- which I bought since it's one of my favorite books. I listened to the book over the past week or so, and then last night I watched the DVD. It makes the story seem to move lightning-fast as compared with the book!

My favorite parts of the movie are Quint's smartass remarks ("I see you brought your rubbers!"), and Hooper's arguments with the mayor ("You're going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites you in the ass!")

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 08:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a fun summer of 1975 when "Jaw'd" came out-Spielberg introduced to us, 'the summer blockbuster movie'.

I didn't run the movie until the following spring at a 2nd run theatre.

True though, wonder if it was the original Eastman release (since this wasn't an IB release), or a reprint.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Here lies the body of Mary Lee. Died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept here virginity. Not a bad record for this vicinity."

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2011 12:27 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The color on the print I saw was good. A few scenes felt a little "muddier" than i had remembered from other screenings over the past few years. I have seen (heard) JAWS in 5.1 in the theatre once or twice out in the SF Bay area, but I think this was mono. My completely amateur guess is that this print was 5-10 years old, from before the 5.1 release.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-08-2011 05:06 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And shot in really real anamorphic, too!
A comparison to Super 35/video origination and/or DI would be an eye opener.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2011 08:58 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original release British prints were dye-transfer Technicolor. Original release American prints were Eastmancolor. I got to see an original release British print a while back, and wow, it looked good.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-08-2011 12:24 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Amity MEANS friendship."

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2011 01:22 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't get it right square,I blow your ass out the little round window on the side!Come on chief this ain't no boy scout picnic, see you got your rubbers!

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-09-2011 09:04 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corrected quotes from Quint:
quote:

~ Front - bow, back - stern. Ya get it wrong, squirt, I'll throw your ass out the little round window in the side.~

~ Break it up, will ya, Chief. Daylight's wasting...Come on, Chief. This isn't no Boy Scout picnic. See you got your rubbers! Ha, ha, ha.~

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-09-2011 10:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"JOWLS" scary pig movie. Louis

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I remember most about Jaws is that it is really two separate movies: the first half which takes place on land and the second half out on the water on Quint's boat.

The dividing point of the two halfs of Jaws is almost exactly half way through the movie in Reel 4. In order to fit the seven reels onto two hour long reels it was necessary for me to split Reel 4. The point where I chose to divide Reel 4 was the last scene on land with the second hour long reel starting with the boat leaving the harbor heading out to sea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: