Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Tree of Life

Author Topic: Tree of Life
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 10:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an avid fan of Malick's films, this one was a headscratcher - particularily for the ending - which is filled with metaphors, and multiple interpretations. Visually the film is stunning - and Pitt and the actor's playing his young sons are exceptional. Interestingly one of the Landmark employees came in to state to turn off folk's phones since so much of the movie was very quiet. Needless to say that did not stop the person just to my left to eat and crinkle the plastic wrapping around the licorice candy for nearly half of the film - I sooo wanted to slug him in the shoulder. I only noticed once in one scene where a reel change occured that the marker was a white ring and not the typical large black cirle - why Fox Searchlight couldn't have ALL the reel changes like that would have made a lot of sense, since little white rings are less visually annoying (personal pet peeve). Given Malick's style and unusal pacing, and the much talked about centerpiece birth of the universe/earth/dinosaurs scene - for the most part, the sold out audience stayed glued in their seats, I'd say only about six couples during the course of the film up and left. I'm still mulling the film over, but for the most part I was transfixed and impressed by the film - now bring on the alternate IMAX film that is supposedly being released later in the year, comprised of more of Malick's trademark nature photography.

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 09:54 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came out of this sort of neutral. I didn't expect to be engrossed in it, and wasn't bored, but not entertained either.
As to any recommendations, I'd just tell people it is one you have to see for yourself, as it's unpredictable whether a person will like it or hate it.
There is some stunning visual stuff in the first half hour.
My wife left after about fifteen minutes, as she is very sensitive to hand-held camera work, and there is a pretty good amount of it.
Audience reaction was quiet, with very mild applause at the end.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Trumbull did the visual effects and I bet talked Malick into using 65mm for some of the film!
It is to bad no 70mm prints are being made. [Frown]

Gregory Jones Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2011 02:01 AM      Profile for Gregory Jones Jr.   Email Gregory Jones Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it earlier today. I really liked the movie. The visuals were mind-blowing and the music was wonderful (it almost felt like a feature length Fantasia segment) but the whole thing was almost completely ruined by the fact that pretty much everyone around me was talking and complaining that they didn't get it throughout most of the movie. I can understand not liking a movie but still being enticed to stay until the end, but why ruin the experience for those who are enjoying it?

Anyway, the only thing that would have made it better would have been an IMAX release.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, wasn't wowed totally, but think this is one I have to see again. One thing is for sure, it has been beautifully composed and looks and sounds amazing. An IMAX release would be amazing, not sure it would work at my location but in the major cities and cultural centre/museum locations it would clean up.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened this on July 8th and my 35mm print is excellent.
It is sharp,steady and a 4k scan!

The blacks are very black as well.
Dolby Digital reads at 0 and 1 !

Picture and sound is great but I have only watched bits and pieces! We only get the occasional walkout from patrons who were expecting a linear story.
[Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: