Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » X-Men: First Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: X-Men: First Class
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2011 06:52 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!
I really liked this movie even though I am not really into X-Men. We have a proper film here with all the right elements of great acting, writing and above all a great story. Only gripe was with Michael Fassbender's (Magneto) accent which slips into his native Irish especially towards the end.
Looks and feels at times like a 1960's Bond movie.
Really really good. Now roll on Super 8...

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx and good luck .. might have to catch this tonight if my prints comes in so I can preview this to check print condition...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-02-2011 02:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K, saw it tonite .... 144min went by pretty steadily were I lost track of time.

Guess what: sorta reminded me of "Phantom Menace" - taking a series and going back to how it all began. Thus, we could call this one:

X-MEN EP1:First Class

Loved the cameo though....

Good popcorn flik - might have some decent legs to it, esp during the matinees pricing...and thank goodness, FOX didn't do/release this one in 3D!!

3.5/5

-Monte

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2011 03:23 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go a little better and give it a 4/5. If the cheesy moments weren't there it would really be a great comic movie. But I guess they need to be in there because of the target audience. Damn limp minded teenagers.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in expecting a typical summer blockbuster action flick, as the trailers seemed to suggest. I was pleasantly surprised that it had decent acting and a storyline. Also happy that it wasn't 3D. 4/5

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2011 11:31 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brenden 16 Vacaville, CA
Screen 16 (one of only a few remaining still current THX certified houses in Northern CA)
35mm presentation

I very much enjoyed this film, and I must echo what Sally says that I'm not a huge comic book fan. Well laid out story, great performances especially Kevin Bacon. Sound mix was good, not too in your face, but good use of surrounds and subwoofer.

Presentation technically top notch. Not a scratch or speck of dust on the feature or trailer pack. Tack sharp and bright all the way across. Only gripes were trailer pack is too long. 8 trailers seems to be a bit much, though they tacked on a THX Moo-Cow which was a nice surprise. The other gripe was that the floor staff were poised at the front of the house right as the credits rolled. After 3 minutes, one of the staff hollered out that there was no sneak scene at the end, which made me feel like they were rushing everyone out and indeed caused a mad dash from the remaining 100 or so people in the house.

Overall experience 3 out of 4 stars

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2011 02:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
The other gripe was that the floor staff were poised at the front of the house right as the credits rolled. After 3 minutes, one of the staff hollered out that there was no sneak scene at the end, which made me feel like they were rushing everyone out and indeed caused a mad dash from the remaining 100 or so people in the house.
That reminds me of the movie Cliffhanger from 1993. Typically 50-75% of the audience would sit through the end credits, and we were given an incorrect running time so turning the theater was a big problem that first week. After about a day one of my fellow managers realized why everyone stayed by watching at precisely the moment everybody got up. He then made the announcement at the beginning of the end credits on the next show: "Thank you everyone for coming to United Artists. We hope you enjoyed the show and look forward to seeing you again. For those interested, this movie was shot in Dolomites, Italy." and with that everyone smiled and happily got up and left.

We ended up making that announcement on every show the first week until we could modify the showtimes, but I am pretty sure nobody felt rushed.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2011 04:02 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you think that the staff should leave the audience alone until the last frame hits the screen?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2011 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I wholeheartedly do, but we were selling out all but one screen all weekend long and the line that weekend inparticular started out with sardines in the lobby, out the front and around the side of the building due to more than just that one show's running times being incorrect. That weekend, I made an exception. Normally I wouldn't even let my ushers pick up trash in front of anyone. If someone was 20 rows from the back, then they could not pre-clean closer than 18 rows from the back behind them. Still, it was a hectic week. We came less than 50 seats away from selling out the entire complex most rounds that weekend and I think he did a pretty good job in disguising the real intent of the "thank you" announcement.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-05-2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
After 3 minutes, one of the staff hollered out that there was no sneak scene at the end, which made me feel like they were rushing everyone out and indeed caused a mad dash from the remaining 100 or so people in the house.
Occasionally on some very VERY rare occasions, like the situation Brad is talking about, exceptions need to be made for good audience control, but this sounds like they were doing this as standard routine. It's just really low-class.... like bus boys sweeping up and putting chairs upside down on tables while diners are still eating. [puke]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-05-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Cinemark XD DLP Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Audio didn't switch from pre-show to trailers, leaving the trail music playing over the first trailer until it ended, leaving us with nothing. Midway through the second trailer, somebody finally got up and complained. Booth hit "pause" in the Planet of the Apes trailer right where the baby ape is unwrapped. Baby ape remained static on the screen looking dead for some time. Then a green band came up, then a green band in a different aspect ratio, then the first trailer started over, again with no sound. Manager on Duty was in the auditorium by this time staring at the booth window. About halfway through, we finally got sound.
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Mutants and missles. Wackiness ensues.

Everywhere I look, people are complaining about January Jones, claiming she can't act. Well who in this movie was trying any harder? I wasn't impressed with anybody. I wasn't impressed with the script, I wasn't impressed with the effects. Really all quite pedestrian. I'd almost expect this level of quality from a Syfy original production.

Hugh Jackman pretty much summed it up for me.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
PRESENTATION: Cinemark XD DLP Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Audio didn't switch from pre-show to trailers, leaving the trail music playing over the first trailer until it ended, leaving us with nothing. Midway through the second trailer, somebody finally got up and complained. Booth hit "pause" in the Planet of the Apes trailer right where the baby ape is unwrapped. Baby ape remained static on the screen looking dead for some time. Then a green band came up, then a green band in a different aspect ratio, then the first trailer started over, again with no sound. Manager on Duty was in the auditorium by this time staring at the booth window. About halfway through, we finally got sound.

What crappy automation system is Cinemark using???

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the better question is why was the automation cues not put in correctly?

Chase Taylor

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-05-2011 09:48 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that really became apparent is that when it does crap out, fixing it is a guessing game. Which is awesome because this building is now all digital.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 02:41 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking they probably had to reboot the JSD-100.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: