Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-22-2011 12:08 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Valle Drive-In Theatre, Newton, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/DTS 2.0 (via FM radio)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Rain through half of movie, nearby lightning strike disrupted power briefly
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

BEFORE THE SHOW: I swear I'm the only adult on the lot not smoking. And the guy in the next vehicle over is drinking beer.

THE PLOT: A quest for the Fountain of Youth. Wackiness ensues.

The good news is that it isn't over-bloated like the second and third movies were. It's fun and mindless, yet not exactly memorable.

It's a good time, but it probably won't make my home video collection.

There's a scene after the credits, supposedly. I didn't bother staying for it.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2011 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched it yet but that ending scene is apparently VERY important or revealing. More and more people are staying every night to see it, and there is always a collective "WHOA" from the crowd during the scene.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-24-2011 06:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Sam...

The extra bit.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Pirate movies, but they should have quit while they were ahead - this one was just... dull. It's also too long, I fell asleep midway through. The 3D effects were okay, but alot of scenes were underlit or in the dark making the effect pointless - for a movie shot in 4K, why set alot of the movie in darkness?? There's also no action-set piece, the second one had the Kraken attack, the third one, the maelstorm - this one... a mermaid attack? oh please... 'lame'

and the end 'extra' bit: ho hum, yeah yeah, a setup for yet another Pirates movie - forget it: over, out, done!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: