Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fast Five

Author Topic: Fast Five
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2011 11:38 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most movie franchises are well and truly jumping the shark by the time the fifth instalment rolls around and the thoroughly ridiculous opener to Fast Five (AKA The Fast and the furious 5 AKA The Fast and the Furious 5: Rio Heist - the publicity material had all bases covered) suggests that this franchise may have reached that point. For although the F&F films are well known for their dubious (albeit spectacularly exciting) car play, the opening scene in this episode stretches implausability to a level which is hard to swallow even for these movies. It pays to only follow this film in the broadest of strokes as the details rarely add up.

The tagline from the previous film - "new model, original parts" - is even truer this time around as Fast Five nicely consolidates all the entries to date by drawing together key figures from the previous four movies for "one last job". Of course, by the time the movie draws to its conclusion it will be revealed that the films producers have at least one more "one last job" up their sleeves.

But while the attempts to tie all the films together into an arc plot are admirable, the subsequent increase in reliance of character is problematic; partly because this cast isn't the greatest bunch of actors in the world but mostly because it gets in the way of the cars which are the real stars of the franchise. We don't want to hear these guys talk, we want to see them race!

It's this scantness of street racing which represents the movies weakness. The car races are the battles of these films; it's what makes them different and more exciting than other action flicks. Sections of this movie look more like Black Hawk Down than F&F and its uniqueness is diminished as a result. Dom Torretto (Vin Deisel) has transformed from tough ace driver to xXx who occasionally gets in a car and the film is lesser for it.

The dynamic between Paul Walker and Vin Deisel is diminished in this film also; theirs is much better when their rivalry is serious. Here, they're just racing each other for fun; there's no stakes involved and therefore little tension.

Could this be the beginning of the end for F&F? It's too early to say. After all, the franchise looked cut and dried after Tokyo Drift only to be revived by the fourth instalment. It does cement the theory, however, that the Diesel entries are the worthy ones as even this movie is superior to 2 Fast 2 Furious and Tokyo Drift.

There's probably life in the old girl yet but it needs a polish and an injection of nitrous oxide to get it back on track and up to speed.

6.5 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2011 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice, cartoonish action film. A nice harmless way to spend a couple of hours. Some nice action scenes, but that big chase at the end just didn't seem all that exciting. Performances are OK, but nothing outstanding. There is an added scene after the first part of the credits that meant nothing to me since I hadn't seen all of the other movies.

Grade of B

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 01:13 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Screened this Monday night in IMAX after the build. I've always been a fan of the movies and this one is just as good if not better then the others. Lots of stuff going on and some cool scenes.

You can really tell though that they are trying to move the series away from being just fast cars. They really pushed the heist part in this one.

The extra sceene is actually a big one if you follow the movies at all.

I really enjoyed the Rock in this, he was pure badass all the way. This has got to the be one of the best sounding movies we've had in the IMAX so far.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Th

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-01-2011 04:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Megaplex 17 has a couple of those touch-screen Coke fountain dispensers that have like 177,000 sodas and flavors. I go to Frowning Counter Girl, who looks really put out that I'm bothering her.

"Do you sell the cups for the soda machines?"

"You have to buy a cup."

"That's what I'm asking you."

"What size?"

She takes my money and looks mad when I take the receipt that she didn't offer. She goes off and gets my cup.

The machine is apparently devoid of ice, so I have to ask her for some from her fountain. She dumps some in with prejudice.

I go through the selections and pour a simple Pibb Xtra.

That was anticlimactic.

THE PLOT: Another Ocean's Eleven sequel...oh, wait. Wackiness ensues.

I literally shouted out "HOLY SHIT!" at the end of the scene during the credits.

My favorite of the year so far, which is more of a sad statement on today's movie scene than anything.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2011 07:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(should have gone to the guest counter at the top of the ramp to your left and complained about the girl that loves to eat lemons prior to her shift..and tell them that she needs to go find another job...)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-03-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
(should have gone to the guest counter at the top of the ramp to your left and complained about the girl that loves to eat lemons prior to her shift..and tell them that she needs to go find another job...)
Said guest counter has been replaced by a gelato stand.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's horribly ironic Sam!

As for the picture, it was surprisingly refreshing. It wasn't a comic and it wasn't 3D.

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2011 09:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with Mark Lensenmayer - I thought the final chase was the coolest scene in the movie - the sound on the 'ETX' screen was insane - the movie could have shortened by fifteen minutes, but on the whole, I was entertained.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-12-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the worst I've ever seen, just too stupid to tolerate. The audiences for this thing are destructive too, graffiti, toilet stall doors ripped off, trash cans dumped on floor, etc. T.P. and paper towels strewn and packed in toilets

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: