Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » CARMEN Real D 3-D (2011)

Author Topic: CARMEN Real D 3-D (2011)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 10:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Georges Bizet's CARMEN yesterday afternoon in Real D 3-D at Regal Dole Cannery 18 in Honolulu and thoroughly enjoyed it very much and it far exceeded my expectations. I was hoping it would not be playing in House #6, the original Real D auditorium at the Dole because they are still using the original digital projector. Before Consolidated got Dolby 3-D , and Regal had put in IMAX Digital at the Dole and new RealD equipment with Sony 4K at the Pearlhighland, I used to see 3-D movies in this house and the picture was extremely dark even without the glasses. I was very relieved when CARMEN was in House #1 that has has the latest Real D and also Sony 4K. The picture was very clear and beautiful.

CARMEN was a co production of London's The Royal Opera House at Covent Garden and Real D and although the opera looked like it was taped at a live performance, it was actually captured during a three day period only for a 3-D camera. Only the audience getting settled in their seats before the show and the curtain call at the end was taped at a live performance. The production directed by Francesca Zambello was excellent. The only thing I felt lacking was better looking sets but the simple settings used in the opera was more than adequate. Both mezzo soprano, Christine Rice as Carmen and tenor Byron Hymel as Don Jose were great and so was baritone Aris Argiris as Escamillo and soprano Marja Kovalevska as Micaela. It was very daring to use a live horse when Escamillo made his entrance riding one and sang the famous Toreador Song. I still remember seeing a live performance of Puccini's GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST at a performance by the Hawaii Opera Theatre in Honolulu and a live horse was also used. It did not happen at the performane I saw but i had heard the horse pooped on the stage at a later show and there was a roar of laughter during a scene that was suppose to be very serious.

The 3-D was excellent especially during close ups and when the bull fighters were showered with rose petals when they made their entrance during the final act of the opera. Although the credit did not include the SRD, DTS and SDDS logos, the sound was magnificent! The nice thing I liked about the sound was how it made me feel I was listening to a live performance. There were sounds of applause after each aria but these were inserted at the right time that added to the feel of watching a live performance.

I hope this was not the first and only collaboration between Real D and The Royal Opera House. I hope CARMEN is a success and there will be more REal D operas. I would love to see AIDA, LA TRAVIATA, TURANDOT and many of my other favorites some day soon in Real D 3-D.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: