Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rango (2011)

Author Topic: Rango (2011)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-08-2011 01:32 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cameo Theatre, Newberg, OR
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/DTS
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: We had some discussion about the subwoofer frequency cut.
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Greed and corruption. Wackiness ensues.

Pedestrian storyline beautifully animated with a few nearly interesting characters. Some impressive action sequences.

Not sure who this movie is targeting...doesn't seem to be small kids. Pre-teens maybe?

It's a fair effort, but I don't see it doing a lot of repeat business.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2011 09:34 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in total agreement with Sam on this one. The characters are not very interesting and the story has its slow spots. The rendering of the characters, however, is amazing. There is great detail in the scales of Rango and especially the eyes of the rattlesnake near the end. I just wish it would have been more fun to watch.

I'll give this one a B-. Surprised it did so well at the box office.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-08-2011 10:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm in total agreement with Sam on this one. The characters are not very interesting and the story has its slow spots.......Surprised it did so well at the box office.
Answer: It wasn't in 3D. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-08-2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it did better simply because it wasn't in 3D. But you just know Hollywood will think that's the reason.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-08-2011 08:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood is probably kicking itself right now thinking "We could have made so much more coin if it was in 3D."

I think there should be a law, no more than one 3D movie per major studio per year.

No, every two years would be better. Then we'd get really good 3D movies.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2011 10:48 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the stipulations that Gore made was that it would not be made in to 3D. He stated that he didn't want to ruin the colors and the details. The great Cinematographer Roger Deakins consulted on this.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2011 09:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually this movie really really surprised me, I loved how it never played to convention. Just the opening of the film was so surreal and set the tone for the rest of the movie. The dialogue was great, if not rushed, so many one liners went by so fast, I'm sure I missed a bit. The movie never seemed dumbed down to the kid audience. The animals spoke, but the film's content and tone were not necesarily kid-centric: there's violence, alot of guns, a few characters kick the bucket, and nearly all the characters are bedraggeled and dying of thirst - it's not a uplifting premise. The three year old in front of me lost it just as the canyon race began, she and her father up and left. The soundmix for an animated film is also a beast, the 5.1 sound is highly aggressive and when Jake (the rattlesnake) appears on the scene his 'rattle' whips around the surrounds to great dramatic effect. I didn't have a problem with the pacing - either you bought it or you didn't - I'd definately see this again (as well as purchase the bluray)

AMC Hoffman (Alexandria, VA) / 35mm / Dolby Digital

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2011 06:05 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this tonight at the Lunar Drive-in and was completely blown away. It is without doubt one of the best films I have seen in recent years.

Although it is a cartoon parody of just about every spaghetti western you've ever seen, the attention to detail, the imagination and the flavour is distinctly European in style. I watched through the credits to see whether it was in fact a French production.

It is targeted more at adults than kids.

This is one film that is a must see. the only criticism I would have is that it is a little long.

cheers Peter

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the movie, I'm quite surprised that it WASN'T in 3D. There are quite a few shots all the way through the movie that look like they were designed with 3D in mind. But, the darkening effect of 3D would have taken quite a bit of the shine off the film, so I think doing it in 2D was the right choice. (Or who knows, maybe later they will release a "3D cut" for home video bundled with Samsung TVs or some such nonsense.)

That said - I really liked this show. As noted above, the attention to detail is what really puts it over the top. Small touches everywhere add to the fun.

My wife didn't think Rango ever sounded like Johnny Depp. I can't say that I know WHAT he really sounds like, since he's doing a "voice" in almost every movie he's in.

The action scenes were really impressive. My favorites were the canyon scene (hello, Star Wars) and the scene at the beginning where Rango's aquarium hits the skids. Superb animation there. Also the rendering of things like hair, scales, water and dirt were amazing to watch. It won't be long until it's possible to do an animated film of live action that will be indistinguishable from "real" live action. (Or it will look better than live action!)

My other favorite part was the scene right after Rango "left town" and met the Spirit of the West. I loved the sound and music during that sequence.

If I had to come up with a negative comment, I'd say the story is a little slow moving when Rango first arrives at the town of Dirt. But, that's a minor nitpick.

Overall, a grand effort. Not really aimed at kids, although they seem to be enjoying the funny characters and the handful of burp/fart jokes (which are thankfully limited).

Four out of five stars from me (and I think my wife would give it the same rating even though Rango didn't sound like Johnny Depp to her).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: