Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Adjustment Bureau

Author Topic: The Adjustment Bureau
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-07-2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Adjustment Bureau

***1/2

-

- Loved Emily Blunt
- Needed Clint Eastwood's "Hereafter" score for the finale
- Read the Roger Ebert review if you want to totally spoil the movie
- Could of been great, and surprise it only made $20mil open weekend
- Emily Blunt and Matt Damon have some good chemistry

Here is movie that I really wanted to see. I tried to stay away from all the ads, noticed Emily/Matt on all the magazines at Wal-Mart and then I did it, I peeked at Roger Ebert's movie review to see how many stars he gave it only to have the movie totally spoiled with his tagline for his review.

The Adjustment Bureau is a decent sci-fi movie that could of been great. I give it an extra 1/2 star because of how much I like Emily Blunt. I loved her in Devil Wears Prada, saw her in the horrible Wolfman, actually seeked out and watched Gullivers Travels in 2Dbecause of her. I think she is "good" actress that "will" get better which is exciting.

The story is good and I really like the whole going through the doors theme. Terrance Stamp had a pretty good role and the real New York settings was refreshing (I think the roof top scene was CGI [thumbsdown] ) Matt Damon was his usually self and I couldn't help compare his role with his role in Hereafter. Matt, didn't you already meet a girl in Hereafter? (note to all of you as to why it needs Clint Eastwood's score at the finale). For some reason Matt Damon has been linking himself to quality movies, he ages well (can't believe he is 40) and says the right things in the media.

I am not sure if word of mouth is going to help this movie. I was surprised that the movie only took in $20.9mil over the weekend, I would of expected at least $30mil with all the trailers, NBA ads, Oscar trailers ect.

After I watch movies I usually come home, make some green tea and sit down and read Roger Ebert's review. I agree with him that the movie could been elevated if the director took a few more chances as was more daring. I am also shocked that he mentioned "2001" with his review. I should point out that this was George Nolfi's directing debut, a pretty impressive one at that consiering he has never directed a movie before, talk about starting small and working your way up to more complicated films.

In conclusion it really is unfortunate that Robert Ebert reveals way too much with his critique.

I like The Adjustment Bureau but I was not surprised as to why they were after Matt...to Ebert: shame on you!

35mm: *
SDDS:***

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the movie to be quite engrossing and enjoyable. Less so about the 35mm print the Avalon got, for a new movie it looked like it had been in a mindfield. Even the 5.1 soundmix I thought wasn't that showy or all that aggressive. Other than that, I felt like I got what I was expecting. Great cast, fascinating treatment of a Phillip K. Dick short story, great location New York City photography.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-07-2011 05:53 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
great location New York City photography.
Specifically to the roof top scene. Did you feel as thought that was green screen?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2011 09:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh it was more than likely 'green scene', but the intended effect worked IMO.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2011 09:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually that roof top scene from the stills in the new issue of American Cinematographer is NOT green scene.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was okay, not a barnburner for me. I don't quite get what Tom means about Ebert revealing too much -- Ebert doesn't give away the ending in his review, but he doesn't have to -- we KNOW they're going to get together in the end because that's one of the main rules of movies. If there's a man and woman on the poster they pretty much always wind up together.

I thought the movie was a little slow-paced but well done. I thought there were a lot of inconsistencies in the "powers" of the Adjusters....first they show the "books" which apparently show every move being made by everyone, but then the Adjusters don't know where Emily and Matt are.

The whole "freezing" people thing ... it's shown a couple of times to make things happen a certain way, but then when the Adjusters are trying to find the happy couple, they couldn't just freeze everything up until they are found? (Anytime characters in a move are "frozen" it seems like a dodge to me. They can't think of a way out of a situation? Just freeze everybody and then the heroes can go about their business.)

The whole "mind erase" thing -- once it was ordered, I was expecting some kind of a race-against-time type thing where Matt ALMOST got his mind erased but then at the last minute something happened to stop it from happening. But that would have been cliche, I guess.

Anyway -- it was a decent movie. We were entertained but not blown out of our seats. 2.75 stars from me. My wife is a little more generous at 3 stars.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2011 09:24 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They get together? Now you spoiled it for me!MIKE!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-25-2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't quite get what Tom means about Ebert revealing too much -- Ebert doesn't give away the ending in his review, but he doesn't have to -- we KNOW they're going to get together in the end because that's one of the main rules of movies.
Hey Mike.

When Ebert first reviewed in the first week of the movie. It stated on the front page in a tagline "Your presidency has been adjusted"

That one line pretty much gave away why they were after him. I try to avoid much of the press and previews for movies. But reading that, well the whole movie I now knew why he was so important.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2011 09:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can't blame Ebert for that. Blame the headline writer. But it's also telegraphed in the first few minutes of the movie too, so it's not like it's a huge spoiler.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-25-2011 10:08 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But going in. It is not something you need to know from a critic if you are trying to avoid promo stuff. Should of never been mentioned until your in the theatre.

You agree?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-26-2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The photo in the first post... Something looks incredibly wrong with Matt Damon's face... like it's been stretched back too tight. A little nip and tuck, Matt?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: