Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » I Am Number Four (2011)

Author Topic: I Am Number Four (2011)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2011 07:45 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got home from doing the build for this one, it will be opening up on Friday in both IMAX Digital and IMAX 15/70 houses. I think though that they only struck about 50 or so film prints of this in 15/70.

Let me say that that is a shame, not because this is a good movie. Its not really, its also not horrible either. I'm not sure what they used to film it with but this film fills almost the entire screen. Not in sections or scenes, but the entire run of the film. Closest thing I've seen so far to a Hollywood movie making good use of the IMAX frame.

Now the review part, this is a Chick flick for guys. Everything that your girlfriend is going to want is there. The dreamy guy that they can fawn over. He's shirtless a couple times and he has a golden tan, and he falls in love. There is some action sprinkled in to keep the guys entertained leading up the last 15 or so minutes is a giant action set piece that leaves a High School leveled.

For me the movie was so so untill the last 20 minutes and Number Six shows up. Number Six is played by Teresa Palmer who was in last summers "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and is in the upcoming comedy "Take Me Home Tonight". She shows up with her Australian accent and starts kicking ass. Once her and Number Four hook up they become a team of ass kickers. If they make a sequel to this film, which they probably will. I will watch it because the most I cared about this movie was when the two of them came together and started working together to fight the baddies.

Overall I ended up liking this movie more then I thought I would, but its nothing that great. Its in a weird spot, there is a bunch of stuff that will scare the crap out of kids that are younger then say 13 or so. It'll have the ladies grabing there men when the scary spots happen, and it'll have the men rolling their eyes when the "mushy" scenes happen or the main character takes his shirt off. Also the marketing team behind this should be shot. One trailer that didn't explain crap or give you any idea what kind of movie your going to see. Walking in I didn't know if the guy was an Alien or a Super Human or a kid on crack. I know its based on a book and the people that know of the book will know, but you can't count on that being yoru sole audience.

3/5 [thumbsup]

Greko Factor of 6/10 Chicks with Australian accentst that can kick ass are hot (Wish we had a pricture of long gone Richard to put here.)

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-16-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
The Greco Factor.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the 15/70 issue...

Our local Imax will still be playing Tron this week, so I guess they weren't lucky enough to get a print of it

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-18-2011 06:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Everything that your girlfriend is going to want is there. The dreamy guy that they can fawn over. He's shirtless a couple times and he has a golden tan.
Hey, REAL men don't allow their girlfriends to fawn over dreamy shirtless guys with golden tans. You don't think for a moment they would let us fawn over girls who take their shirts off, do you? Enough of this double standard. [thumbsup]

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2011 01:23 AM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sought out a 35mm performance of what I figured to be a so-so run of the mill flick, but as it turns out it got better as it progressed. It was one of those rare films that compel you to move closer and closer to the edge of your seat the further into the film you go. Lots of action with a few twists in the storyline. This particular theatre has a good reputation for 35mm presentation, so I have no complaints regarding the picture... bright, focused... sound a little loud as usual... a good clean presentation. Can't speak for the digital presentation in the house next door... they had both... but I am still troubled by the convergence problems with digital, so I still choose 35mm when available. [thumbsup] Check it out, you'll more than likely enjoy it. [thumbsup]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-08-2011 12:52 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Am Number Four: The IMAX Experience

-
 -  -

-Good action
-Decent special effects
-Cut it out with the cutesy scenes
-Wrong marketing
-"Redbull is for pussies"

I Am Number is movie that I liked much more than I thought I was going to like. The movies gets better as the film wears on and the last 20 minutes are outstanding. The movies picks all of its momentum once Teresa Palmer is introduced, I think she can give Meagan Fox a run for the money on the hottnes scale and she is a tie with Tron's Olivia Wilde. Palmer has the tagline of year so far when she gets back up during a scene and announces "RedBull is for pussies" and then continues on with the action.

The film is very similar to the Twilight saga and suffers because the movies is made for adults but they filmakers are trying to sell it to the Twilight crowd. The cutesy parts of the film needed to go as the movies is held back by them. It is no wonder why this movie pretty much flopped because this is not really a movie for the crowd it is marketed at so word of mouth would suffer. If the filmakers cut out the teeny bopper stuff and promoted the movie as a more serious adult action film, the movie would of done better at the box office.

I love small town movies. This film takes place in a small town. Trains passing by, railway bridges etc. There is something about small towns that gets me everytime.

The special effects were good and the action decent. Like I mentioned earlier, once Teresa Palmer enters the picture, the movies goes from below average to good. It really is too bad they didn't spend more time developing her.

The bad guys do not get enought back story and the movie suffers because of this. Teresa Palmers character could of had a few more mysterious parts here and there to make us wonder who she is. Didn't really feel the chemisty between the two leads but I could see with Palmer at the end.

I saw this movie in IMAX Digital and the more I see movies at this location, the more I appreciate IMAX and what they are doing. Coming off a very poor 35mm screening of Adjustment Bureau IMAX Digital is the real deal as far as sound and picture quality goes. It was presented in the full aspect ratio. I have no complaints about IMAX Digital, lite, mini or whatever the skeptics want to call it. I am also a big fan of DMR, IMAX is on the right path. Also, the fact that the all the rows were curved towards the centre of the screen was a nice touch.

Overall, I had a good time and was pleasantly surprised.

Presentation: ****+
Sound: ****+

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: