Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Blue Valentine

Author Topic: Blue Valentine
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-11-2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This is a pretty heavy duty drama about having a marriage fall apart and not reading the writing on the wall when a relationship is over.

Outstanding performance by Michelle Williams. It is up there with one of the best performances of the year. I thought she was excellent in Wendy and Lucy and she is even better in Blue Valentine. I am not sure if this movie qualifies for this years Oscars. Ryan Gosling is also outstanding.

The movie feels very real and goes in and out of present and flashbacks. It looked like the director used 16mm for the flashback scenes and Digital for the present scenes, it was effective.

Overall a very good movie about real life. This movie plays very well to females who will make up the bulk of the audience. Females are going to relate to the Michelle Williams character.

As for the NC-17 rating. I am really not sure why it go it. There are two major sex scenes, one is similar to the Wrestler sex scene between Rourke/Tomei and the other is the similar to the Kunis/Portman implied scene in Black Swan. An R rating would of been appropriate. Plus younger females/males should see the scene with the needle in the abortion clinic.

The only flaw of this film was in the credits. While the film ends on a sombre note, the credits are mixed with images and the use of music that do not reflect this sombre feeling. Also, "A Love Story" on the poster does not reflect this film.

Presentation:
DLP ***
Sound **

|  IP: Logged

Cassandra Palko
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2011 01:26 AM      Profile for Cassandra Palko   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rating was appealed and they got it dropped to R in early December of 2010.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-11-2011 01:36 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cassandra, I did not know that.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2011 07:00 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It received the orginal rating because the MPAA thought that some scenes were to emotional. Thats the truth to, came from the director after the orginal rating came out.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2011 12:14 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of primary cast are claiming the NC17 was caused by the oral sex scene. web page

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even the oral sex scene in 'Black Swan' was pretty explicit why the MPAA got all bothered by 'Blue Valentine's scene is just as graphic in my opinion

as for the film itself, I didn't think I'd enjoyed it that much, but was very very surprised. The cinematography and music were also top notch.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought the oral sex scene in Blue Valentine was quite tame compared to Black Swan, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. The movie was ok, but a little too long.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-23-2011 02:53 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-thats why I thought too. The sex scene was nothing.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie is rated 14a in British Columbia, not so sure about other provinces.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-23-2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18A in Ontario. The equivalent of R in the US

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-29-2011 06:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

The woman to the left of me have their feet up on the rail in front of them (we're in the first row behind the handicap row). One of them has her shoes off. Stay classy, bitches.

THE PLOT: An anti-romantic comedy. Wackiness ensues.

Romantic comedies start out with a cute quirky relationship and end with a happily ever after. This is the third film in recent memory that actually shows us there's no such thing as a happily ever after.

Much like "Revolutionary Road" and "500 Days of Summer", the story of the start of the relationship and the end are interwoven. This one almost feels like documentary footage. Well shot, decently put together, but I don't think it's nearly as creative as the other two were.

Oh...and there aren't any valentines, much less blue ones, and it isn't portrayed on Valentine's day, so it's totally false advertising.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: