Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The King's Speech (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The King's Speech
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife suggested that we see this movie tonight - and I had never heard of it. What a surprisingly good movie this was. Colin Firth was amazing as King George VI. I think it's an Oscar nod performance at least if not a winning one. If you're looking for a feel good movie that has some great performances and a few good laughs too, give this one a try. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a Best Picture nod too.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-28-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always enjoyed movies about British royalty such as YOUNG VICTORIA and THE QUEEN and I am looking forward to seeing the movie eventually. It is playing in only two theatres in Honolulu right now but I am sure it will play everywhere once the word gets out how good it is like the BLACK SWAN that opened in limited release but went wide after good word of mouth.

-Claude

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-28-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know what you think when you see it, Claude. I have a hunch that you would really enjoy it.

Aaron Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Burgess   Email Aaron Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this film, watchable.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 07:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I have decided to see THE KING'S SPEECH on New Years Day at the Dole Cannery Theatre and will post my review after I see it. Something tell me I will enjoy this movie very much.

-Claude

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best movie of the year. Incredible performance by Colin Firth..you really feel his distress as he tries to speak in public. Geoffrey Rush is superb as Lionel Logue, underplaying a bit more than usual for him. And Helena Bonham-Carter looks and sounds like a wife very concerned for her husband.

Add a terrific script and excellent cinematography and you get what I think will win the best picture Oscar this year.

It is a bit slow in the middle, but the last 30 minutes will stand up against anything I've ever seen in a movie.

OSCAR NODS
Colin Firth - Best Actor (will win)
Geoffrey Rugh - Best Supporting Actor (could win)
Helena Bonham-Carter - Best Supporting Actress (won't win)
Best Picture (will win)
Best Director - Tom Hooper (will win)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-01-2011 07:34 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Rave Westroads 14, Omaha, NE
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Eek!]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

I arrived late and the auditorium was nearly full, so I ended up in a stray standalone seat in the wheelchair row. Unlimited room to my right. Unlimited room to my left. Unlimited leg room. And a chatty old fart sitting behind me. Figures.

THE PLOT: A guy stutters. Wackiness ensues.

Really? A whole movie about a speech impediment? And it's even funny sometimes? How the heck is THIS supposed to work?

Well, it does. Admirably. Beautiful sets, beautiful angles, and a solid script (though it feels way more casual than I would have expected royalty to be given the period). Firth plays the crap out of his role.

This is the first time I can recall experiencing a problem-free presentation at a Rave. Just saying.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-02-2011 08:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo!!! I saw THE KING's SPEECH" today at the Regal Dole Cannery and as expected, I enjoyed the film very much. I knew I would enjoy the movie but it far exceeded my expectations and I consider it the best film of 2010. Geoffrey Rush won and Oscar in 1996 for his performance in SHINE and could win again for his role as Lionel Logue as the king's unorthodox speech therapist.. Colin Firth was nominated in 2009 for the lead in A SINGLE MAN but I am very positive he will go home this time with an Academy Award for his performance in A KING'S SPEECH. I saw TRU GRIT yesterday and I thought Jeffrey Bridges would win another Oscar but after watching Colin Firt's performance as King George VI, he will not win. The film had a very gritty look and it captured the feel of the 1930's very well. I also enjoyed the use of Beethoven and Mozart's music during uplifting moments in the movie and part of the credits. Among the three recent films about British monarchs, THE QUEEN, YOUNG VICTORIA and THE KING'S SPEECH, I enjoyed T.K.S. the most and cannot wait to buy the Blu-Rey when it comes out in a couple of months.

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-10-2011 03:30 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
OSCAR NODS
Colin Firth - Best Actor (will win)
Geoffrey Rugh - Best Supporting Actor (could win)
Helena Bonham-Carter - Best Supporting Actress (won't win)
Best Picture (will win)
Best Director - Tom Hooper (will win)

Hi Mark, I am curious if you have seen Black Swan.

I think that Black Swan/Kings Speech are the two best movies of the year.

Geoffrey Rush I thought was the standout more than Firth in this movie and will an Oscar for supporting character. Don't get me wrong, Firth was not bad, but Rush was real good.

What are your thoughts?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2011 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Black Swan. Should win for Natalie Portman. A bit too weird for the Academy audience to vote for best pic. I'm doing Oscar predictions, not what I thought was best.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-10-2011 10:55 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Silence of Lambs and No Country for Old Men were wierd, violent and very good.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did jah notice that the meters on the "World Service" controls were all at zero? Must be a museum somewhere.

Correct mikes for the period as best as I can tell. (Most films are way off.) Louis

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-17-2011 06:11 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Firth took the Golden Globe home last night. The movie didn't, but he did. Now let's see if he gets the Oscar too.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-22-2011 03:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I think SOCIAL NETWORK will win most of the 2010 Academy Awards including Best Picture but Colin Firth will most definitely win for Best Actor as King George V1. THE KINGS SPEECH only won one Golden Globe award for best acting and wish it could have won more including Best Picture instead of THE SOCIAL NETWORK. T.S.N. was excellent but in my opinion T. K.S. was better and much more entertaining.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: