Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Gulliver's Travels

Author Topic: Gulliver's Travels
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-27-2010 12:19 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Now here is a movie that clearly show why not all movies need to be made in/into 3D. I am not sure but I strongly believe that this film was converted after the fact, it doesn't matter, I don't need to know.

It was filmed in Panavision and I saw it 35mm 2D. The movie is not bad, it got a number of lame laughs from me(even though the laughs have been done before).

I really like Emily Blunt, so that is what sold me on this movie, also the fact that I have seen everything else as well. She is ok in this movie and so is Jack Black. I think Emily Blunt is due for a break out role anyday now.

The plot is silly and the special effects work but are nothing special. The Titanic moment, Transformers thing at the end and the Empire Strikes Back homage got a big laugh out of me.

The biggest problem with this movie is that it doesn't know what it wants to be. Its not really a little kids movie and its not really a adult movie, its somewhere in between thus an audience and doing well at the box office are hard imagine. If it just knew where it should be, it really could of done well. Movie kind of reminded me of Jumanji, but that was a long, long time ago so maybe not.

Overall I give it three stars as its not bad, its not great. I liked it most because it clearly shows that not all movies need to be made into 3D. I think parents will agree. There were a number of laughs, silly plot and Emily Blunt who was just OK.

Format: 35mm film with a horrible hairline stratch right done the middle. (unless there was staff screenings. This was just the 9th run of this print)
Sound: Dolby Something. . Or maybe Ultra Stereo, perhaps Mono, maybe stereo..could of been Digital..heck WTF, it might of been Dolby 7.1. (it was BAD)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
This was just the 9 run of this print
It only takes ONE misthread to permanently damage a print forever. There is no rule saying that misthread needs to come late in the print's life. It can happen at any time when careless people handle it. Carelessness knows no bounds.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 05:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....now you know why the push for digital has gone rapid ....

No complications in getting the movie on the screen when it comes to digital: Either is on the screen or it isn't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: