Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 2001: A Space Odyssey (Presented in 70MM) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: 2001: A Space Odyssey (Presented in 70MM)
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-21-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what I thought, the screen size is not the difference

I remember an projectionist friend of my saying "70mm has less to do with the screen size, and more to do with what is inside the frame", that was 14 years ago.

I have not seen a 70mm presenation since a blow up of Lethal Weapon 3 way back in the day. I had a chance to see 2001: A Space Odyssey this evening in 70MM film at the Bell Lightbox in Toronto. Let, me just say that tonight's film going experience will go down as one of the great experiences in a movie theatre that I have ever had. This not just a credit to 70mm, as it also has to do with the sound, crowd, theatre design and overall experience of seeing a great film on the big screen. I will not forget this evening.

2001 on the big screen is a whole difference experience compared to one at home. The flow of the film seems to be better when viewed inside a movie theatre with great picture, sound and a crowd with you.

Right at the beginning with the opening "MGM" logo, you know how extrodinary the night will be. The colour, contrast and steadiness of 70mm is felt right away. The opening scenes of the Dawn of Man are outstanding. You know you are watching film of high quality.

The scope of the film and dramatic impact are astonishing. Filming it Super Panavision 70 adds to the experience. Many of the scenes are like looking at a painting. The great thing about 2001 is that the meaning to the film is open to intreptation to anyone who watches, all 150 people in the theatre will have their own feelings and meanings from the film.

2001 at the Bell Lightbox is presented with an opening oveture, cutains hiding the screen, a 5 minute intermission and reel-to-reel with a projectionsist changing the reels every 12 minutes (I would assume). Not sure how long a 70mm reel lasts. There was a brief announcement before the film started.

I am not sure if this film is presented in magnetic or DTS, and truthfully I really don't want to know as that would taint my perception. Let's just say that the sound is incredible. The opening music, the scenes with astronaut breathing is just outstanding. I have not heard a movie sound this good. The front screen channel seperation is evident all throughout the film. During the silent scenes, you could hear a faint hiss coming from the speakers.

Credit must be given to the design of Cinema #1. This is a well designed theatre. Every row is curved and pointed towards the centre of the screen. There is a balcony and stadium seating and a lower bowl. There is pretty much three sections to the cinema. The walls are acoustically padded from top to bottom, every part of the side walls are padded. The balcony roof above the stadium seating section is padded as well. The walls inside the hallways are padded and you hear the voice die out as you entered the hallways.

This was an event I will never forget. I took the train into Toronto, I ate dinner and drank from an old fashioned Coke (made with cane sugar) bottle before the show, met my friends and enjoyed a great film presented in a great way.

I know there is some great discussion about film vs digital and 70mm being dead etc. I am not going to go into this, however there were some things that stood on this evening.

1. The social aspect of watching 2001 in 70mm was differnent than watching a film in 35mm. The crowd was about 150 in attendance and all for some reason sat very close to one another. It was like we all wanted to be close together to share this experience. There were people sitting so close to me whereas at a 35mm movie, we would be sitting farther apart. There were over 500 seats in this theatre, all 150 of us took the front 15 rows.

2. The crowd chatted with one another before the show about film and technology. The audience cleary knew we all were in this together and watching something special. There was not a sound from the audience during the show and the entire crowd stayed for the credits until the "The End" part of the credit came on screen. The entire credits were shown in the dark with no house lights until "The End" came on screen.

3. Having a projectionist change the reels every 15 minutes or so added to the experience. This was film presentation of the highest quality.

The only thing I was not happy with on the evening is that there was no buzz or marketing of the evening. Nowhere on the building, marquee, ticket counter did it say 70mm. Even on my ticket it did not say "presented in 70mm"

I was hoping for something like the attached picture Glendale 2001 which would of made even more special. The Glendale played 2001 for two years during the intial engagement just so you know.

In closing, my experience tonight of watching 2001: A Space Odyssey is something I will never forget. It was an experience that I have not been able to get at any other theatre I have been in the last little while. I don't believe that 70mm is the be all-end all of film making and film presentation (it clearly has its place), perhaps certain films should be given the 70mm treatment. I think that what is most important is that of the social experience and watching a film in a great venue with the highest quality possible is of most importance 70mm provides that medium for those people to come together.

70mm, a great film, great sound, a great audience, and showmanship by a projectionist. I will not forget this special evening.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 12:51 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This belongs in the afterlife section

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-21-2010 12:53 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
This belongs in the afterlife section
Sorry, but this is in theatrical release in Toronto right now for a 4 week exclusive engagement showing three times per day.

On a side note: Tonight there is lunar elcipse that has not been seen for like 2000 years or something like that.

Who would of thought?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 02:05 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a gander at it.
The moon looks like an angry red ball.
Even though I am aware this is only an atmospheric phenomenon, I like to believe the red moon means doom for us on Earth.
DOOM!
[evil]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-21-2010 02:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
Many of the scenes are like looking at a painting.
You are in some parts...especially the background in the Dawn Of Man sequence. In 70mm you can even see the brush strokes. (on Blu Ray they're even more evident)

2001 has to be seen in 70mm. For me no other option will do.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-21-2010 02:51 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
2001 has to be seen in 70mm.
Yes you You are 100% correct.

quote: John Wilson
especially the background in the Dawn Of Man sequence.
I didn't even notice that those were paintings at all. I thought they were real.

I noticed it later on the fiim.

Also, when I say "it looks like looking at a painting" what I mean is the mean of the shot as well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2010 03:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think ALL movie reviews belong in the movie review section, but that's just me and my wacky common-sense causing trouble for everyone again. [Smile]

Tonight there is lunar elcipse that has not been seen for like 2000 years or something like that.

This shit happens all the time, several per decade at least.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-21-2010 03:40 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I think ALL movie reviews belong in the movie review section, but that's just me and my wacky common-sense causing trouble for everyone again. [Smile]
What? [Confused] A film seen in the theatre will be experienced completely different than that at home.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2010 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Will Ferrell movies. They suck equally bad on the big screen or at home.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-21-2010 03:45 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller

LOL

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-21-2010 05:17 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bra
Except 'Stranger Than Fiction' [Razz]

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 06:09 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a new DTS (5.1) print, the film was personally made for the Toronto Film Festival conglomerate.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even notice that those were paintings at all. I thought they were real.
They weren't. They were 35mm slides taken in Africa and projected through a newly refined front-projection system with both the 65mm film camera and the 35mm slide projector on the same aligned plane. Lights on the performers and foreground objects washed out the projections on them. The few strokes you're seeing on the backgrounds are actually from the material used for the back screen that the slides projected on to.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros. has evidently just found 17 minutes of Lost Footage from 2001: A Space Odyssey in their Kansas salt-mine vault. Kubrick cut the film after the NYC premiere at the Loew's Capitol Theatre from 160 minutes to around 141 minutes. Doug Trumbull & David Larson were working on a documentary "2001: Beyond the Infinite-The Making of a Masterpiece" and a Behind-the-Scenes photo book.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dawn of Man backgrounds in 2001 were slides indeed, but not 35mm. They were shot and projected on 8x10 Ektachrome sheet film.

See the AC article on 2001:
American Cinematographer article on 2001

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: