Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Fighter

Author Topic: The Fighter
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-20-2010 01:14 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This movie had a really well cut trailer that made me want to see the movie. Also, with 6 Golden Globe Nominations, it pretty much sealed the deal for my interest.

The movie is good, but it is not great. Christian Bale is good but his role actually is kind of distracting, he kind of overacted the role. Mark Walhberg is ok but is too much like other characters he plays.

The real standout in this movie is Amy Adams, I thought she was outstanding. Melissa Leo and Jack McGee stood out as well.

The movie has its funny moments as well, the sisters not getting along with Adams, the father driving his truck up to the house and then realizing he needs to get the hell out of there got some big laughs from the crowd.

The movie has a documentary feel to it and has a gritty look . The fighting between family is more important in this movie than the fighting in the ring. Overall, I do give it three stars as I always like real stories about people/problems/family issues etc. Slice of life of movies are always great.

On a side note, the audience I was with loved the film as they applauded during the credits. A movie like this shows that sometime critics don't understand audiences. I think word of mouth will be better than average.

Shown at the AMC 24 on 35mm film
Sound was SDDS.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-2010 01:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Christian Bale ... kind of overacted the role.
He TOTALLY overacted in this.

The characters in this movie all look like white trash. White trash cannot be interesting. Also, why are the fights shot on standard definition video?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-20-2010 02:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Christian Bale NOT overacted in anything he did after Empire of the Sun?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-20-2010 04:00 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Also, why are the fights shot on standard definition video?
The fight scenes were filmed that way on purpose, they are supposed to give the impression that you are watching the fights from a "fan" or "tv" or "living room" POV, kind of detached and not "in the ring". Having the fight scenes filmed that way make you focus on the family issues and the drama behind the scenes, not the boxing.

I actually thought they were filming the television set which was playing the actual fight.

The fights scenes are not like Rocky or Million Dollar Baby, and in The Fighter, the way they filmed it actually worked.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2010 05:46 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually all the fight scenes were filmed by the crew that does HBO Fight Night, so they would look like they would if it was a real fight on HBO. So you are half correct Tom, but it had nothing to do with taking the focus off of the fights. This was a good film, but not as good as it could of been. Its sad, this could of been Bales year to win an Oscar. Thats not going to happen though. Good supporting actors, the leads just missed it.

2.5/5 [thumbsup]

I'm really sad that O'Russell and Walhberg are doing the Uncharted movie together. Had huge hopes of that being a good movie, not so much anymore. Just bad choices on both parts.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-2010 05:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fight scenes certainly don't SOUND like they would on HBO, with subwoofer-enhanced sounds every time a boxer makes contact.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2010 06:59 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you imagine if the sound mix was like HBO, all the "in the know" customers would come running to the lobby to tell us, "Your speakers ain't working right or something, don't sound right" Customer Service person "Oh I'm sorry, thats the way the movies supposed to sound" Customer "No it ain't, ain't what it sounded like before, go on and fix it now."

Yea, that would be fun....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-20-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when I walk by this one playing and there is a fight scene going, it is just Marky Mark blocking the other guy's punches. But one time, Marky Mark actually managed to throw a punch of his own and then block a couple of the other guy's swings. Marky Mark couldn't have looked happier. He threw his arms up in the air as if to say "I finally hit someone in a boxing match. Who is the badass now?!!"

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, after seeing the credits show the real guy that Bale was playing, I thought he did a pretty accurate portrayal of the guy's voice, mannerisms, and such.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-22-2010 06:12 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Marky Mark
So last Century.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-22-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch 4eva!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: