Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » TRON: Legacy (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TRON: Legacy (2010)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is one that MUST be seen in a film based IMAX!!! Not in a LIEMax or a Megaplex Digital 3D house. This film was ment to be seen on the BIG screen. It's loud, its visceral, and it fills almost the entire screen for 40+ minutes. It looks great, the added darkness of the glasses and polarizer don't hinder this at all. The soundmix is great here. I didn't really understand everyone going nuts over Daft Punks score. I'm not a fan of theirs but they fit well into this.

Now on to the draw back. The story is horrible and paint by numbers. This is alot like AVATAR in the fact that it looks great and is trend setting, but the story was left on the back burner in place of some good effects. The big talking point for everyone I think is going to be the "Young Flyn/Clu" Sometimes this looks really good and then others your like WTF am I watching, a video game cut scene?

Cillian Murphy has a uncredited cameo, and when Sam goes to the bar. Check out the bartender, its TRON director and creator Steven Lisberger.

3.75/5 [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-14-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Check out the bartender, its TRON director and creator Steven Lisberger.
That's a nice touch. [thumbsup]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2010 03:13 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one thing they did do, there are a bunch of things from the first movie that show up one way or another. One of my favorites was the huge security door of the ENCOM building.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-14-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and no Dillinger (David Warner) since he wasn't bumped off in the original as was with Sark?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2010 12:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was only implied that Dillinger was fired and disgraced in the original 1982 film. Further, none of the human characters "back in the real world" were killed. Just digital people, like what we kill in video games all the time.
[Big Grin]

I guess if they wanted to bring up Dillinger in the TR2N plot line they could have said he died of old age in prison. Note: I haven't seen the new sequel yet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-15-2010 01:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
TR2N
Type it like that again and I will hit you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2010 05:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol .. that "TR2N" was the original idea in doing this sequel title..

It's gonna do good for the holiday season!

Saw it tonite on a DCI build preview in 3D ... Gonna now have to drag out the original on DVD to see how corny the original was made (even though, in it's time was quite the feat in itself..and being shot in 65mm) and see why it flopped so bad that summer of 1982..

..and now, it has the potiental to be a cult classic!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2010 07:04 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
..and now, it has the potiental to be a cult classic!

Hate to break it to you but it already is one. Thats why we got Tron Legacy

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-15-2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the original TRON in 70mm at the Royal Theatre in the Waikiki district of Honolulu in 1982. It was the final film showing at this wonderful theatre before it closed and and was demolished and I was there for it's final presentation. I must admit, the original film had a lot of dazzling visual effects but the movie itself was a total bore for me. I thought it was the lateness of the hour when I saw it and I could have been tired so I rented the video and gave it another chance and I was still bored with the film. Honolulu no longer has a film IMAX theatre but only a digital 3-D house at the Regal Dole Cannery and I am on the fence if I should spend almost fifteen dollars to see something I might not enjoy again.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the plunge Claude ... what's 15 bucks?

With the original being only 3 years after Disney's first Sci-Fi "the Black Hole", one can understand that some of the clumsy acting and storywriting from that movie carried over into the original "Tron".

This one is a lot better, not close to perfect, but better.

..and do agree what Kurt mentions: It does belong on an IMAX screen...

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I barely remember watching the original when I was 5 and haven't yet tried to watch it again all these years, So I went in watching this one pretty much with a blank slate. Visually it was fun to watch, but nothing we haven't already seen done, though I was impressed with how well they did with the CGI'd young Jeff Bridges. The score is also very impressive. As to the story, meh.

**1/2 out of *****

35mm
Dolby Digital

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-18-2010 04:36 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I really enjoyed this movie. The whole 3D experience and everything, the only thing I wish is that I saw it in IMAX. Tron Legacy really makes it clear that there is a place for for 2D and 3D in movies, a 3D movie like this works. I also really liked how they filmed parts of the movie in 2D and the rest in 3D. The message at the beginning telling the audience that some parts of the movie were filmed in 2D surprised me.

Jeff Bridges is good as usual, it really appears that he acts like he has an Oscar backing him up (which he does). He comes across well in this movie. I didn't really care all that much for the younger Bridges and it really would make no difference if he played that part or not.

Olivia Wilde is sexy as hell and G Hedlund is good. I liked the score by Daft Punk, well done. (look closly, they cameo in the movie).

The story is ok, but I didn't go to see this because of just the story, the 3D really intersted me. The conclusion worked and the director did not leave a wide open cliffhanger for a sequel which was a welcomed surprise.

The Wilde/Hedlund riding off into the sunrise really worked.

I saw a lot of influences in this movie, I saw some Blade Runner, Escape From New York, Tim Burton, Batman by Nolan, Star Wars and more. This is a very dark movie with very few daylight scenes.I never saw the original Tron.

I really liked this movie.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-18-2010 05:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a Daft Punk? I know it is a band, but up until this movie I had never heard of them. Are they supposed to be well known or something?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-18-2010 05:07 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
This film was ment to be seen on the BIG screen
Yes I agree. I really wish I had seen it in IMAX 3D.

quote:
This film is one that MUST be seen in a film based IMAX!
Is it actually showing in film based IMAX?

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2010 11:14 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to preview this movie in an IMAX gone 35mm, so no 3D for me yet. My best way to describe it is a good movie with a great soundtrack and awesome visual effects. They certainly didn't seem as groundbreaking as the original 1982 TRON. I thought the music was excellent and really helped put me right into the movie. I really enjoyed it overall and seeing on a 70ft screen really helped.

6/10

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: