Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Tourist

Author Topic: The Tourist
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-12-2010 11:32 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I absolutely loved this movie. I was so into it from start to finish. The movie is totally impossible but it was just so much fun. Its really cool to see all the locations in Venice.

It's nice to see Johnny Depp is a straight shooter role. Completely normal and it was almost like he was under-acting, if there is such a thing. I am not the biggest Depp fan and I don't watch most of his movies, but he was good in this.

Angelina Jolie is simply mesmerizing. Simply perfect in her role and is perhaps my favorite female start. The Oscar winner can act IMO.

The score was very good as well. Its a fast paced film from beginning to end.

Here is the biggest issue with the movie. The movie was poorly marketed....*SPOILER ALERT* The movie should of been marketed as "WHO IS THE TOURIST?" just like Salt. It looks too much like a love story and it is not.

The movie does get predictable but that is not really an issue. It makes you second guess yourself a few times. The movie is kind of similar to Knight and Day. There are issues with the plot and plausability of the movie, but who cares, it made me forget about real life. The film also should of had a full out love scene.

It really is worth the price of admission to see two MEGA stars go face to face in a movie.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-13-2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about this movie is that the director's name is barely even able to fit on the screen.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-13-2010 12:37 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
director's name is barely even able to fit on the screen.
Actually what was more "cooler" was that Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie's names were credited at the same time during the credits with giant space between them.

That is 28 letters for the director and 23 for the Depp/Jolie combined.

Thank good for SCOPE

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2010 07:28 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gladly paid $8 to watch Dep/Jolie wander around Venice for 2-hours and for that I was satisfied. But it was not a good movie, I think they just did it so they could spend a summer in Venice with their families and get paid for it.

Unfortunatly I saw the film at Hollywood Theaters Southglenn Stadium 14. I was excited to see a nice clean crisp presentation. However the light was hot-spotting due to the curved silver screen. The image was under-lit and didn't look in focus. I complained to the manager knowing that nothing could be done. He was very nice, he told me about the silver screen, mentioned something about using the 3D lens and moved me to the more expensive seats which are actually above the projection booth. It didn't improve the image, but he hot-spot moved confirming his silver screen thing.

I guess I should have seen it at Joe's theatre.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did he mean? A Sony projector showing 2D through the 3D lens attached? [Confused]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2010 03:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the cinematography and the costumes were the best aspect of the movie - it's too bad, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck didn't take a similiar cue from director Tom Tykwer ('The International') and integrate 35mm and 65mm film capture, the latter could have produced some really ultra vivid, sharp pictures of Venice (notably the long shots). Too bad the script was rather mundane.

AMC Mazza - Auditorium #1: 35mm/Dolby Digital (THX)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
A Sony projector showing 2D through the 3D lens attached?

It easily can be done and it prob was the instruction from the tech to leave the 3D prism lens attachment alone.

It's like leaving the RealD XL doubler in front of the digital when showing 2D movies: no changes involved in the presentation quality.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-13-2010 08:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did he mean? A Sony projector showing 2D through the 3D lens attached?
The manager might've just meant that the silver screen created the hot-spot and was installed for when they run 3D content but since he wasn't the technical person he made it seem like they were running 2D content through the 3D lens.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-22-2010 09:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was clearly made for the Euro market. Slow moving with an "unusual" ending. Several friends didn't get the plot twist even after I explained it to them.

Still: good to see Depp back in a good straight leading man position after being Capt Jack for 2 films too long. Jolie is not normally my cup-of-tea, but wonderful in this.

Depp was raised in a trailer park in Owensboro, KY; always good to see a Kentucky person do well. (Kathy Bates, Dianne Weist, etc.) Louis

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-23-2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did he mean? A Sony projector showing 2D through the 3D lens attached?

Sony 320s with RealD 3D lenses routinely run 2D content. That's the beauty of that equipment combination - no equipment changes need to be made when switching between 2D and 3D, other than to select the appropriate format "3D for 2D" template when building that show file.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A spy romance which keeps the mood light and playful, The Tourist has Scotland Yard operatives pursuing Elise (Angelina Jolie) with a view to snaring her lover and mysterious fugitive, Alexander Pearce. Pearce frustrates the authorities (and a group of wronged mobsters also after his neck) by covertly setting up a dalliance with his sweetheart whilst dropping red herrings in the paths of his adversaries. One such red herring is Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp), with whom Elise is instructed to court in order to throw his pursuers of his scent.

Depp is note perfect as the slightly geekish Wisonsin school teacher and, given that the jokes rely heavily on his delivery, his comic timing is also suitably spot on. Jolie is as charming and beautiful as she can be in a 'Julie Andrews' kind of way. She's wholesome and proper whilst being beautiful and alluring at the same time. It's fair to say that without this core pair of performances, the film would be a shadow of its present form. Solid support is provided by Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Rufus Sewell.

The only downfall to the film is that the twist in the (admittedly dull) plot is apparent from the start although this does provide some sport in watching the behaviour of the characters, the cleverness of the script and the quality of the performances (Depp's, in particular). Ironically, this would probably be a lesser film if the twist were not so obvious.

A good choice for a Boxing Day release, The Tourist is mild and inoffensive adult holiday fare, the perfect antidote to the typically mindless Boxing Day action/comedy blockbuster.

7 out of 10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: