Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Secretariat (2010)

Author Topic: Secretariat (2010)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good movie considering everybody knows exactly what's going to happen.

I thought the scenes where the owner basically jettisoned her family for the sake of the horse were treated too lightly. Could have added some more drama to the proceedings. It all seemed a little too casual.

The racing scenes were very well filmed I thought. Sound mix was great in those scenes.

The "period" details were good too except when the girl sang "Silent Night" it sounded totally 2010 with all the unnecessary extra notes thrown in there.

Overall, a solid 3 out of 5 for me. Word of mouth here is going great...Montanans love any movie with horses in it!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-24-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scenes leading up to and including the Belmont race were filmed here in Lexington at Keeneland race track. Some various farm scenes were filmed here too.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-25-2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it. This one will have legs (no pun intended), and should do well with the older crowd as well. Agreed with Mike's comment about the lack of attention to the fact that the main character essentially abandoned her family to run the horse farm. Apparently, they were at least somewhat supportive, but that wasn't exactly the sort of thing that a good parent would typically do.

Reviews for this seem to be very mixed, and I'm not sure why. It's a standard "crowd pleaser" sort of film--very well made, but with an entirely predictable ending. I would find it hard to imagine who would dislike this or why.

"Phar Lap" is still my favorite horse-racing film, however

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it for what it was. Like said above, the outcome is known for most people enjoying it. It still managed to make you care about the racing scenes and what not. I agree that her just leaving the family wasn't handled well. It was handled in a House of Mouse way. I thought that John Malkovich was funny. Well worth the familys time on Family night for sure.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-28-2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will make a good airplane film. (I mean that is a GOOD way.) Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: