Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hereafter

Author Topic: Hereafter
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-19-2010 12:32 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been dying to watch this movie. I was going to watch it in film theater but I could not wait any longer. I took a 1hr train ride to see it at a theater that was showing it as part of an exclusive engagement. I had to see it in Digital .

**** stars

Clint Eastwood's "Hearafter" is a Clint Eastwod movie like you have never seen before. Great acting by Damon, very good score, powerful closing music and the odd time where the grand special effects open the movie .It's not for everyone, but it will be for some ..****.. Very, very Euro, as Eastwood kind of does "cinema" with this movie...if there is ever going to be a "Criterion Collection" of one of his films this is it.

Let me be clear, this movie is not for everyone. The first hour seems to going nowhere and this will have a lot of people feeling bored. It is not a suspense film at all. It is Clint Eastwood doing a EURO type movie. Lots of storytelling via images and using music to make the point. About 1/4 of the movie is subtitled.

-IMO, this is one of Matt Damon's best performances
-Subtle storytelling
-Great final 20 minutes
-Hints of romance

There was a moment in the film where a boy loses his hat that convinced me that there is a connection with those who have gone...and I say this because the day someone close to me left, something interesting happened to me where I could relate to the character.

It is very classical storytelling and new age style together.

For the record, I don't believe we can reach those who are gone, but I do believe they can reach us.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
I had to see it in Digital
Why is that....and with a capital D no less?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-23-2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
I had to see it in Digital
Exclusive engagement when I saw it. Only three screens all were digital without a capital. lol

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-23-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following review mirrors my thoughts on this turd.

quote:
I sincerely cannot help but worry, with no snarkiness intended whatsoever, whether Clint Eastwood has gone senile. He is 80, after all. I hope this not the case, of course, and I certainly don’t wish it on the guy, but I can’t imagine what else explains the utterly baffling Hereafter. This is one of the most incomprehensible excuses for a movie I’ve ever seen. I don’t mean that the plot jumps around disjointedly, or that it’s too complicated to keep up with, or even that it doesn’t make sense, because none of those things are true: it’s not overly complex and the actual events that are occurring are not unintelligible. I mean, what is up on the screen is not even a movie. There seems to be no reason why this particular collection of sounds and images and characters exists. I cannot fathom what point Eastwood (Invictus, Gran Torino) is attempting to make with it. There’s no story here at all. And yet, Hereafter is not lacking in drama and narrative in any way that movies often attempt and sometimes manage to pull off: you can’t say even that this is a static meditation on something. Because it ain’t that either.
(more below the ad... scroll down...)

Senility cannot account for the failings of screenwriter Peter Morgan, however: he’s only in his 40s, and he has written some extraordinarily fine movies -- most recently The Damned United and Frost/Nixon -- movies that have spun intense drama and compelling narratives out of tricky subjects. Here, though, we have three characters wandering around seemingly in search of a story for them to star in. There’s Marie (Cécile De France: Around the World in 80 Days, High Tension), a French TV journalist who has a near-death experience when she almost drowns during a tsunami as a South Pacific beach resort, and then becomes obsessed with the notion of whether or not there is anything waiting for us after we die. There’s Marcus (George and Frankie McLaren), a young London boy who loses his twin brother in a terrible accident and cannot seem to cope with life alone. There’s George (Matt Damon: Green Zone, The Informant!), a San Franciscan who used to work as a medium, passing on messages from the afterlife to paying customers -- George was The Real Thing, we’re meant to accept, not a cold-reading fraud who preyed on the grief of the bereaved -- but has given it up in favor of manual labor.

You know without a doubt that these threads will come together eventually, because we wouldn’t be seeing them if they didn’t, and they’re not terribly interesting on their own. Except to be infuriating once in a while in the way that all stories that wish us to accept that the supernatural is real often fall into: Marcus is saved from being injured or killed in a terrorist bombing on the tube by the ghostly actions of his dead twin, who arranges things so that Marcus misses the train that will be bombed moments later. But everyone has lost someone close to them -- that is, I can only imagine, what is intended to be part of the appeal of stuff like Hereafter, that we take comfort from the idea that our loved ones are watching over us -- so shouldn’t at least a few other folks have been saved at the same time? Anyway, even though these stories will intersect, it still feels like wild coincidence when they do, because there really is nothing but coincidence that makes it happen, and the convergence comes so late in the game that it becomes clear that the convergence was all it was ever going to be about: there’s no narrative reason for these threads to merge, just that they do. It’s like that joke about telling the story about that time you were out driving and you came to a stop sign... and you stopped, because that’s what you do at a stop sign.

On the way to that ending that is pointless and yet cannot truly be called anticlimactic because nothing has been exciting up to that moment, we get a strange amalgam of studio and arthouse, as we flip from Hollywood-esque disaster -- the tsunami scene is straight outta every end-of-the-world flick -- to French-subtitled conversations about whether or not there is an afterlife that come to no conclusions whatsoever... from Matt Damon meeting cute with Bryce Dallas Howard (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Terminator Salvation) at a cooking class to Marie’s epiphany about life after death happening so far offscreen that we have literally no idea what the hell she’s taking about when she’s promoting her new book on the subject: she sounds like a crazy person ranting prettily, not a supposed intellectual offering a journalistic exposé of a Big Secret (which is what the movie tries to insist her book is doing). Characters that seem as if they have a part to play come and go with, it turns out, no actual impact on anything. It’s not that just nothing gels here into anything that resembles a satisfying two hours at the movies, it’s that no one seems to have felt that this was a necessary thing for the film to bother itself with. This isn’t a matter of trying for something ambitious and failing at it -- there isn’t even any trying.

Anybody but a name with the stature of Clint Eastwood’s, this film simply does not get made: it’s that devoid of anything we might expect from a movie. There’s no story, there’s no philosophy, there’s just an endless void.

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2010/10/102210hereafter_review.html

Cassandra Palko
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Cassandra Palko   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
after reading that review I feel bad for the woman who asked for her money back after seeing the movie last night. She sat through the whole damn things and nothing went wrong from an operations stand point - but she REALLY hated it.

She told me she was "misled" by the commercials and I needed to give her a refund or a pass.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

I saw this today in San Francisco. For 126 minutres I sat nonpulsed [sleep] in my chair. It is the most uninteresting story I have seen in a long time. The biggest highlight was when I left to go to the restroom and snack bar and MISSED part of the movie.
At least the theatre lobby was lively.

Mike

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2011 07:18 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the supernaturally-themed Hereafter, director Clint Eastwood heads into M. Night Shyamalan territory and sadly Shyamalan's dearth of recent success rubs off on this project also. Some of M. Night's recent failings are in evidence here: a plodding story with little apparent direction (it takes about 50mins to kick into gear) and characters which are not all that interesting. And although the film is interspersed with some nicely staged sequences and contains some fascinating conceptual elements, it fails to pull together as a whole.

Additionally, Eastwood's film has a multi-stranded narrative, the danger of which is the overall dilution of a strong central story. Such narrative structures only work if each strand has a strong narrative core of its own and ultimately this is the terminal problem with Hereafter: of the three stories presented, one is compelling, the other two not so much.

There are sparks of Eastwood brilliance, however, and these sparks are synonymous with the presence of Bryce Dallas Howard - ironic given that she represents yet another link to Shyamalan. Howard is very, very good in this and her tragically brief scenes with Matt Damon are the best by a long, long margin. There's real on-screen chemistry between the pair, a chemistry which is lacking everywhere else in the film. In retrospect it's a shame that the film was not actually about these two characters.

Hereafter is a fractious affair albeit with some nice elements and the all-to-brief pairing of Bruce Dallas Howard with Matt Damon is almost worth the price of admission. It is, however, a disappointingly minor entry into Eastwood's canon.

6.5 out of 10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: