Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Never Let Me Go (2010)

Author Topic: Never Let Me Go (2010)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-11-2010 09:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a particular opinion on the film, but I watched most of it today from the booth with the sound off.

I will say that it is absolutely beautifully photographed. If it doesn't win a bunch of awards for cinematography, I would be amazed and disappointed. It is the best-looking current film that I have seen this year.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody is coming to see this movie at my place despite it playing on the Large Giant Screen™. I have only seen a few frames of this movie. I am sick of Carrie Mulligan being in movies, however. In Wall Street 2 she always looked like she wanted to cry or was pouting. But now I'm thinking that's just the way she is. She is not very attractive, so she deserves less work.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Excellent film....but very grim from start to finish.

Mike

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one guy in the audience who was all smiles before the movie started. No smiles from him when the movie ended. No smiles at all.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2010 10:52 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran this back in September at the Telluride Film Festival.
I started to watch it, but personally found it too depressing.
Comments I overheard from festvial-goers who'd seen it basically
echoed those made by others here: That it's a beautifully
photographed, and technically well done film- - but somewhat
depressing. I also heard several people oomment that the main
characters "lacked depth" and I even heard one woman say that
she couldn't wait for the main characters to die so the movie
would end.

But as I said- - I never watched the whole thing so I can't
really give a personal review other than that I didn't watch it.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s a shame that this film isn’t doing better, it’s very well done and thoughtful, but very serious and downbeat, not a “feel good” picture at all. There was a lot of crying both times I saw it. The other thing: if you have any strong feelings about the big existential issues of the day (abortion, stem-cell usage, capital punishment, assisted suicide et. al.) your going to wind up being confronted with and possibly reconsidering them, instead of walking out whistling the score.

The other thing that has killed this picture is the fact the nation’s film critics have been tiptoeing around the plot, so as not to give away the big spoiler. Unless you read the book, all you know going in is that it’s about some kids at a restrictive boarding school in England who grow up and fall in love, only to find out that . . .
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

If people were aware of the whole concept, instead of just the set-up, I'm guessing that there would be more business.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-22-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love depressing movies....I always walk out of them with a smile on my face and whistling the score. But then again, I have really good anti-depression medication [Big Grin]

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for this briefly and thought, hmm that'd be interesting to go visit on my cinema tour. I ended up catching it at the cinemark palace 20 (incredibly beautiful building) because I had a couple of re-admits from being double charged.
Perfect presentation, not a scratch or speck of dirt, good job! Plus the screen was very large for the auditorium it was in.

This movie was great, I did not expect how dark it was, but damn after leaving the movie I was certainly not in the happiest of moods, but that movie was amazing. I am a Carey Mulligan fan (not from wall street but from An Education), plus I think she has a cute face but that is neither here nor there.
I loved the cinematography and pacing of the movie, I was caught in it, and it was incredibly well written.
If you like a little bit of serious sci-fi then I don't think you can go wrong with this film

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 10-25-2010 12:17 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very good movie. Very sad as well. What a surprise.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-28-2010 10:49 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly more upbeat than JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-03-2010 06:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this one properly, as an audience member. It really is a great film--maybe the best that I have seen this year. I can see why it had trouble finding an audience, though, with its unusual and depressing premise. Still, I hope that this one gets recognized in awards season. I have not read the book, and have no idea how faithful the film is to it, but, as a film, this really is a must-see. Everything about it--script, acting, direction, cinemetography, score--is top-notch.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: