Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Author Topic: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soren (Jim Sturgess) and Kludd (Ryan Kwanten) are Barn Owlet brothers who are mistaken for orphans and abducted by the insidious Pure Ones to be brainwashed into mindless automaton soldiers bent on taking over the world. Kludd takes to the militaristic lifestyle like a duck to water but the independent, imaginative Soren resists the oppressive regime. After managing to escape his incarceration with fellow fledgeling, Gylfie (Emily Barclay), the pair journey to the legendary Ga'Hoole to warn the Guardians of the oncoming apocalypse, picking up a ragtag band of misfit comrades along the way. It's Lord of the Rings for owls presented in needless 3D.

If Peter Jackson had shot the entire Lord of the Rings in one sub 2 hour film, it may have looked a little like this. In a film like LOTR the journey is important; toil is important; time, is important. The journey is where we learn about our heroes, test their mettle, bond with them (and they with each other); learn what they're really made of. Establishing an engaging story within the 90 minute attention span of a minor was always going to be difficult. The Legend of the Guardians addresses this problem by cutting practically all of the journey out of it. With most of its run time dominated by outlining its fundamental plot and introducing its multitude of dull and clichéd ostentatious characters, there's no time left for a journey. As a result, what is meant to be an arduous adventure is reduced to what feels like bunches of crazy owls hopping from a tree to the beach and back again. Tension is lost; empathy for the characters is lost and, indeed, barely established.

There's something a little too wholesome, too genial, too naive, too "classic Disney" about the film. Pixar have changed the landscape of children's animation forever with its mature, intelligent story-telling and there's no going back, but Legend of the Guardians does give it a darn good try.

Glimpses of darkness and thematical depth are presented as if we already know what they mean. All this talk of "gizzards" and "moon blinking" with no clear explanation as to what it's all about suggests that some concepts did not translate well from the printed page and were perhaps treated a little superficially.

The film looks fabulous, though. Clearly a lot of work has been put into the Happy Feet Rendering Engine v2.0. The detail is jaw-dropping even if, for a while, it's difficult to look at these owls and not see the penguin within. In some respects, though, being able recognise subtle facial expressions across different species is a testament to the success and sophistication of the animation.

The film sports an amazing cast, the envy of any Australian production including just about every known actor in the Antipodes including Sam Neill, Barry Otto, Hugo Weaving, Bill Hunter, David Wenham, Emily Barclay, Geoffrey Rush, Anthony LaPaglia, Sacha Horler, Abbie Cornish, Richard Roxborough and Joel Edgerton. Unfortunately, the distinctive voices of many of these actors are a distraction in the film, leading the audience to play "spot the well known actor". This would be less of a problem were the story more engaging.

Of director Zack Snyder's previous films, the banal 300 and the brilliant Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians most closely resembles the former with its mantra of superficial style over substance, a point ultimately punctuated by the shadow puppet end credit sequence which makes the best use of 3D in the entire movie!

5 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally thought this was style over substance, the visuals were amazing, but the story which merged three books into one narrative seemed overkill and uneven. The 'pop' music scene stood out like a sore thumb and really drew me out of the movie.

I'd give it a C+

[AMC Mazza, Screen 2, 3D (REAL-D)/THX]

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 10:59 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just need to vent about this issue... dubbing. Voiceover. Whatever the correct term here is. First of all, this movie received a K-11 -rating (which means 11 year-olds and up are allowed in by themselves, and 9+ with adult, no younger admitted) and "they" deemed fit to DUB the movie in Finnish. Why, oh why, when there are such talents doing the original voices?? And to top it off, the Finnish distributor is very unwilling to let us show the original version, we just get the Finnish one. Oh, the wrongness!

It would be a totally different issue if the acting was any good in the dubbing, but it isn't. There's no acting, no movement, only delivering the lines. And since the look of the movie is -well- awesome, the dubbing grates the ear and ruins the whole experience.

I seriously did try to watch it, Sincerely tried and failed. Twenty minutes in I quit. Regrettably, because the movie itself looked amazing, but I just couldn't get past the bad voice acting. So mad!!

This was several weeks ago and still my blood boils. Well. There's always the DVD.

On another note, I saw Despicable me today, also dubbed Finnish but not anywhere nearly as bad, almost doable in fact... makes me even more mad for the botching of the Owls.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was nothing more than an exposé on forced child labor and dog fighting, disguised as wholesome family fare. Add blood and it would have been 300.

4 out 5 owl talons

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: