Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Town, The (2010)

Author Topic: Town, The (2010)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-05-2010 09:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think that this was badly mis-cast? Affleck is just not believable as a bank robber/thug type, and the rest of the characters aren't much better.

This keeps getting good reviews, and I just don't understand why (95% on Rotten Tomatoes?!?). I actually liked Gone Baby Gone (the only evidence that I have seen that Ben Affleck actually has any sort of talent), but The Town is sorely lacking.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with you Scott, I truly enjoyed this movie from top to bottom. I enjoyed the casting, and thought it was pretty spot on. Affleck is has cemented himself in my mind as a good director. This for me is a must own and a must see for anyone who likes Heist movies.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the trailer did nothing for me, but the complete film on the whole I thought this was quite a good movie, not great - but entertaining nonetheless.

[AMC Tysons, 35mm/Screen 11]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-14-2010 09:07 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If ever a film was more than the sum of its parts, this is it. Modest cast, story and script work together to provide a pretty good entertainment. I wish more movies could do this.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of agree with Scott on this one. It wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't great either.

Compare this to a movie like Heat. I think Heat was better done on all counts.

I would give this movie a 2.5/5

Steve

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 11:36 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Steve, but Heat was directed by possibly one of the best Directors of his Generation in Micheal Mann. Also he arguably had a better cast [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That just feeds into the argument made above...poor casting and story telling. It isn't that The Town is a bad movie...but of its type, it isn't as good as others. Generally speaking, better acting combined with better story telling gets you a better movie.

Steve

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 01:00 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I ment by the wink with casting was the fact that Mann had DeNiro, Pacino, Kilmer (in his prime) and a staggering list of supporting actors. That any director would die to just have one of those names, maybe aside from Kilmer now. To put them all in a movie together was a perfect storm of awsomeness. I don't think the casting in Town was really that bad, I just have to disagree. I felt the characters were pretty well brought to life by the actors that played them.

A good example, When Affleck is in the car with the girl and she's telling him her "secret" his facial expressions were great, his reaction to what she was saying. Good stuff, also the scene in the dinner when she describes the tattoo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: