Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Social Network, The (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Social Network, The (2010)
Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2010 09:15 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not use Facebook nor do I intend to. However, this film is stunning. It is definitely not a movie strictly about Facebook itself, but instead is a movie about the Internet age and the business behind it. It's sharply written, beautifully directed and amazingly scored. This is without a doubt the best movie I have seen this year.

Also, who knew that Justin Timberlake could act? I have seen several of his performances in the past but this one takes the cake. He definitely pulls off the big shot persona that his character requires.

5/5

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 03:59 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed! [thumbsup]

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with both posts, very, very good performances, and Timberlake, whose music would make a good CIA torture tool, was excellent.

I would say that for those who are not technical at all, they would still enjoy the good v. evil (or less evil v. more evil) moral aspect of the story. It's a universal story of how humans act and react, the setting is simply up to the minute. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in 10 years.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-2010 11:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was boring as hell. But not as boring as Michael Clayton.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-06-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the topic title "Social Network, The"? Who's going to search for it that way?

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 06:25 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Saw the film Tuesday and enjoyed it a lot. You do not need to be familiar with Facebook to understand the film.

Mike

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 09:22 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this the other day at the Terrace auditorium #1 35mm with dts sound. No presentation problems.

I really enjoyed this movie, It is mostly about facebook, as to be expected, but also shows a lot about current society. The acting is good all around, everyone fitting into their role perfectly. Not the best movie ever, but def a good one.

7/10

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-09-2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: "The Warren curtain is going up!" (no it's not...oh wait, there it goes.)
RATING: Three and one half stars (out of four)

HOLY CRAP. The trailer for the Coen Bros version of "True Grit" is freaking awesome. Made all the other trailers look like crap. Of course, the trailer immediately behind it was for "Burlesque", so...

""Social Network" is so good I want to get the script and study it, scene by scene, in the hopes I will absorb the essence of great writing." (Aimee Mann, on Twitter)

What makes this movie great is the dialogue, the pacing of the dialogue, and Trent Reznor's soundtrack contribution. This thing flows along like a well-produced spoken word music video. The time flies and not a moment is wasted.

(Pretty sure I've said that about another movie. Recently.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-2010 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A shit-ton of time was wasted in the opening scene where Jesse Eisenberg rapid-fires his dialog (extremely annoying and not at all like the real Michael Zuckerberg, it's just what Jesse Eisenberg does... it's the ONLY thing he can do). Despite the rapid-fire dialog and my EXTREME annoyance at it, the scene still seemed to drag on and on and on. Neither character ever became interesting. None of the characters in the movie did. The way Eisenberg played Zuckerberg, I can't imagine the guy being able to function cognitively in any situation. He played him like a complete ditz who can't pay attention to anything for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Again, nothing like the real Zuckerberg.

I just really wish they would have picked someone besides Jesse Eisenberg. He is a one-trick pony.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-11-2010 02:00 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't say its the best movie of the year. The acting played by Jesse and Justin was meh. They basically played themselves. Andrew was the better of the two. The story was somewhat interesting, but it seemed to drag quiet a bit. Probably a made for TV movie would best describe it.

[The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] out of 5

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally really enjoyed this movie, but I thought Jesse Eisenberg's acting was downright annoying. His voice was grating beyond belief.

On a side note, I'd love to hear the soundtrack of the film from Trent Reznor (which is released in a lossless 5.1 Bluray album release)

[Avalon Theater, 35mm/Dolby Digital]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-22-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected that this film would be amazingly boring, and I had no interest in seeing it until it started to get positive reviews.

I finally saw most of it last night. I was generally impressed. I have no idea how much resemblance the film bears to reality, but the story is compelling and the pacing is nearly perfect (there is not a dull moment in the entire film). I enjoyed it, which is rare for a film where none of the characters is the least bit likeable. I am generally a fan of David Fincher ("Zodiac" was one of my two favorites of 2007), and he does not disappoint here.

Many reviews compare this film to Citizen Kane. I don't see the two as being related in the least, with respect to either structure or content. Maybe I'm just stupid. Or maybe the reviewers are just so sick of crappy movies that they are overly excited when something this decent actually gets made and released. Anyway, I don't get it.

Visually, the film looks pretty bad, though. Picture is soft and there is little shadow or highlight detail. Not surprisingly, it was shot on video, for no apparent aesthetic reason.

Anyway, it's the best current film that I have seen in the last few months, and I can actually recommend it as being worth seeing.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2010 10:41 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only became interested when the film vastly over-performed at our location. Thought 'the facebook film' would be a hard sell. Did well at the stand as well.

This was a decent film. I'm sure the story is pure fantasy apart from the bare bones but there's enough quirky dialogue and a decent pace to keep it entertaining. It felt like a long Gilmore Girls episode but a little more serious. The soundtrack is incredibly effective, provides a lot of emotion and feeling to gloss over the fact you're watching nerds bitch and get rich. I've not seen a lot of Hollywood this year but this was a good effort from a big studio. A 3.5 out of 5 for me.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-13-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I finally got around to seeing THE SOCIAL NETWORK and -- blah!

1. I don't really see any dramatic tension going on here. He wants to do something...and then he does it. No real obstacles standing in his way. No real challenges for him to overcome -- except, perhaps, his social awkwardness (which he does not overcome).

2. The protagonist is unlikeable -- I can't relate to this loser -- and he's no different at the end than he was at the beginning.

3. Cinematography LOOKS LIKE CRAP -- what? was there a special on yellow filters or something? it looks like they filmed through a jar of urine. But "it was shot with the Red" so I guess that means everything is okay.

4. Despite the fact that the movie's automatic popularity arises out of it's "social relevance" it nonetheless cannot honestly claim historical accuracy.

5. The ONE thing it might going for it is "snappy" dialog. But do real people really talk like this? No. They don't.

6. I take that back -- the BEST thing the film had going for it was the youth choir rendition of "Creep" in the trailer.

Of course, it'll win ALL the Oscars but since when does THAT mean anything anymore?

All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay $14 plus parking to see this or I'd be really annoyed. Even so, at $7.50 for a Friday twilight show at the AMC, I'm STILL wishing I'd seen it Monday-Thursday for $5.

Compare this movie with, say, AMADEUS and you will see why I'm not impressed. Neither Mozart nor Salieri is presented as "likeable" but it is fun to watch the tension develop between the two. AMADEUS is not necessarily historically accurate but at least it is a recounting of an actual legend -- and the story is far more riveting than SOCIAL NETWORK. Finally, compare the cinematography and, yes, the dialog -- and SOCIAL NETWORK does not stand a chance.

Even a ROAD RUNNER/COYOTE cartoon does a better job of telling a loser's story than SOCIAL NETWORK.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-25-2011 08:30 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ross Oba
Also, who knew that Justin Timberlake could act?
Well, the Academy left him out [Frown]

I can't believe it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: