Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Easy A

Author Topic: Easy A
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2010 07:43 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Gluck's teen film about well-meaning fictional promiscuities ably handles the slippery nature of the connection between truth and lies, and right and wrong - a universal theme that all ages can identify with. The film harks to everything that was great about John Hughes' films of the 80's, a fact that is openly acknowledged with its explicit referencing to The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, films which tackled teen issues with intelligence, heart and wit. Easy A is the kind of film that, were there any cinematic justice in the world, would win a slew of major awards, but the sad fact is that teen films just aren't Oscar bait no matter how well written.

The script by first time feature writer, Bert V. Royal, is dripping with sass and the film oozes performances to match. Emma Stone is clearly having a whale of a time as our young protagonist, Olive Penderghast; Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci bounce off each other magnificently as Olive's too-understanding-to-be-true parents; and in his tiny role as school principal, Malcolm McDowell hasn't been this much fun since he tolchocked Billy and his boys with his droogs and gave a devotchka a bit of the old in-out-in-out in the snow. Other performances by Thomas Haden Church, Lisa Kudrow and Amanda Bynes (although Mandy Moore did 'Christian zealot' better in Saved!) are note-perfect also.

In addition to the great Hughes teen comedies, Easy A also stands shoulder to shoulder with other greats such as Pump Up The Volume, Heathers, Election and Saved!, appealing to an audience far beyond its target demographic. Easy A stands as a prime example of how well movies for the masses can be just that. Highly recommended.

9 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2010 08:26 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will come back and review this movie when I've seen it - this week, probably. But the fact that Will Gluck directed it is what has me so excited to see it. You see, Will also directed my favourite comedy of last year, 'Fired Up', which I loved because of the funny-as-hell rapid fire dialogue and fantastic characters (Dr. Rick is already a classic in my book!).

I'll be back.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-20-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci bounce off each other magnificently as Olive's too-understanding-to-be-true parents
She must be a really great actress. She's none too understanding about the cinema she lives above. [fu]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:16 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the script was biting, very clever and the cast made it work. It might not be high art, but it was vastly entertaining.

[AMC Mazza, Screen 5/35mm]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: