Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Machete (2010)

Author Topic: Machete (2010)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-04-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 15
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Fucking with the wrong Mexican. Wackiness ensues.

Well, it kicks ass for about ten minutes, then plods along for about 80, then kicks ass again, but not quite on the level of the first ten minutes.

I somehow expected better.

Maybe it was the crowd. There were maybe 30 here and they weren't reacting to the movie at all. I saw "Grindhouse" with a decent size college crowd, and they were totally into the experience.

Plenty of pasty white tits, including Lindsay Lohan's.

Yes...Lindsay Lohan's.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-05-2010 11:33 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday at Cinemark 17 in Springfield, #10, brand new DLP system (make/model unknown) and new silver screen. This movie looked very film-like what with grain present (not talking about the deliberate worn film effects at the beginning of the movie). Image had plenty of detail and pretty decent contrast. Some noticeable hotspotting with brightness falling off to the sides but not horrible. Image did not quite fill the sides of the screen but not a big deal since the edges are very sharp anyway. Sounded good too but the right-surround channel is hissing.

OK, the movie was about what I was expecting. I was entertained. There's not a whole lot to say about this kind of movie. You either get it or you don't. It would be better enjoyed with a large appreciative audience but there were only a handful of people at this early evening show.

I give it a [thumbsup] but acknowledge some just won't like it and I understand why.

Cinemark has recently installed several new DLP + RealD screens at this theater. Thay also now have a DLP + RealD screen at their bargain theater across the mall (Movies 12). Top weekend priced ticket is $4.00 for "The Last Airbender" in 3D. It's a shame they apparently have no money available to fix broken seats and deep-clean the first-run theater or spruce up the exterior signage which is looking more and more like something you'd see in a deserted big city in an apocalyptic disaster movie.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Saw the film over the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot. The violence was extremely gratifying. [Big Grin]

Mike

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at AMC Mansell , Atlanta. Pretty decent presentation.

The movie doesn't disappoint if you liked the trailer. I enjoyed it. Don Johnson sure has aged.

That naked chick in the beginning should have slept with Machete and he should have discovered the phone in the process.

The "nude" shower scene with Alba was weird. They had a weird angle at first , i guess to disorient the viewer from recognizing that Robert Rodriguez used CGI to remove her panties or shorts she wore for the scene. Still, it made me happy to "think" she was naked. It's still more than she showed in other movies.

Robert should have insisted Lohan do all her nude scenes without recycling the trailer scene and using a body double elsewhere. I think there is only one scene where you can see Lohan actually topless even if one has to look past the hair. I wonder if the mother character was a dig at Dina Lohan.

P.S.: AMC needs to get rid of their opening self promoting promo. It's more intrusive than the other chains promos. That reel guy is obnoxious.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, stop complaining, Pravin. You saw the Warning Label right when you walked in the front door: A M C.

[Smile]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2010 10:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I saw this, I made it a double feature and saw 'The Expendables' before hand - and as Mike Croaro noted, yes, the violence was very gratifying.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: