Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)
Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Regal Keystone Park 16 in Dallas, TX (8/4/2010)

This movie is fucking awesome despite Michael Cera.

Though I can see how it will have a somewhat limited appeal.

It's tough to encapsulate this movie into a forum post, it's kind of non-stop from the beginning and referenced everything from Final Fantasy II to Seinfeld. It was obvious that Edgar Wright was trying to keep a lot of the same elements from the comic series, and it plays a bit like a live-action anime cartoon at some points.

You should know before going in that it's not your typical superhero movie (though i thought that was pretty apparent). At the risk of sounding cliche, it's the quintessential "anti-superhero movie" and will no doubt be compared to Kick-Ass and Superbad and other movies of the type, which actually isn't too far from the mark.

Anyway, keep an open mind going in and you will experience one of the most entertaining and well-made movies of the year.

*****/*****

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2010 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was soooooooooooooooo awesome I have to be careful here and not give away any spoilers. Ummmm let me think.

This movie is a spastic adventure of stupid. Yeah, that's what it was.

1/2 out of 5 stars (given for interesting editing)

BTW, I literally walked out of this turd at the end of reel 2. Had I been forced to sit through the entire thing, I think the rating would have been in the negative because it was clearly going nowhere. It definitely has limited appeal.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 05:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 minutes did it for me .... STUPID!

Oh my goodness, how does this junk escape the trash room to be presented on the screen, and I do feel sorry for Universal for releasing such trash!

..at least I saved and hour and a half of my life doing something better (like build up Expendables)..

0/5 for sure

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-13-2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how this, or any Michael Cera movie could be enjoyable. The Scott Pilgrim videogame is really good, but it does not feature Michael Cera or anything even remotely like him. I was looking forward to the game when I heard there was a movie coming out. Saw the trailer, thought it was the most stupid thing ever.

Age limit = 15-21.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 02:41 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think as long as you don't go into it expecting something serious you will enjoy yourself, its more of a social movie though. Get a couple of people and watch it after hours when you can talk and joke around. It's a movie that can't even take itself seriously, but if you go with it, its not a terrible film

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah sorry Brad and Monte but I just don't think you're the target demographic. That and you left after the first 20 minutes, but whatever.

Stupid, yes, nonsensical at times, shallow and self-indulgent but purposefully and with an ironic, downwardly cast smirk.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Age limit = 15-21.
In other words: The Prime Demo! [evil]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-13-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Metcalfe
Stupid, yes, nonsensical at times, shallow and self-indulgent but purposefully and with an ironic, downwardly cast smirk.

I was on the fence before, but now I REALLY want to go see it! [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2010 03:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Metcalfe
Yeah sorry Brad and Monte but I just don't think you're the target demographic. That and you left after the first 20 minutes, but whatever.
Incorrect. I gave it a full two reels right to the reel change into reel 3. Reel 2 was worse than reel 1. I saw where it was going.

And yes I agree, I am definitely not the target audience. I don't like stupid. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's already bombing at our complex, thus it'll fade to DVD history in a quick..and then it'll be in the $5.00 cheap DVD bin at Wally-World by next year ...

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-14-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 16
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Scope movie letterboxed in flat
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Scott fights Ramona's seven ex's. But not the world. Huh? Wackiness ensues.

I saw this with a good (and very sizeable) crowd who were totally into it, which might have helped, but I thought this was funny as hell and really well done.

I loved the video game version of the Universal logo.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 04:06 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Monte, but just because you didn't like it and neither did Brad does not make it a horrible movie and not worth the film it was printed on. I have not seen it yet and can not state for or against it. My only concern and this happens alot here is that everyone is so quick to tear the shit out of something cause it didn't work for them, but worked for others.

This film has a certain demographic its going for and it will hit with that demo, and will most likely be a cult hit once on Blu-ray and dvd. Getting the big zero from Monte does not make it headed straight for the bargain bin. As Bobby likes to quote Rotten Tomatoes, Scott Pilgrim is currently at %80 fresh.

Justin B. Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 04:25 AM      Profile for Justin B. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Scope movie letterboxed in flat
I haven't seen the movie so I can't confirm this but apparently a majority of the fight scenes were shot anamorphically so the "letterboxing" occurs on-screen for them. Not a presentation problem as much as a technically stupid (or brilliant?) decision on part of Edgar Wright/his camera crew...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-15-2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
does not make it a horrible movie and not worth the film
Oh, do agree fully, just that I didn't find it at all entertaining and interesting in the few minutes, and now some other scenes that I've seen..

Now, who is waiting for "Jackass 3D" [Roll Eyes] ? Glad, that I have to just hit the "play" button on the server, check the sound and walk away...

-Monte

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To each his own, right. [Big Grin]

I will say the end part of the "Jackass 3d" trailer was funny with the high five.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: