Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Inception (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Inception (2010)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2010 02:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
TV guide description - "The Matrix" for dreams.

Review - Very well done with a great sound mix too.

Spoilers - No, just walk into it cold. Don't even bother reading other people's reviews, just go see it.

Rating - 4.5 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2010 07:21 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to digest everything and form a solid opinion. It was great for sure. Another well done picture, well acted and some awsome visuals.

agree with Brad, just go see it

4/5 [thumbsup]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2010 08:49 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a definite must-see and also begs for multiple viewings to get a good sense of what the movie is about. I highly enjoyed Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight and this one goes above and beyond what he accomplished in that. It's very refreshing to see a movie that is wholly original and not a sequel or rehash of old material.

4.75/5

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-16-2010 12:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but Inception is the summer movie release I have wanted to see most this year. I only glanced at Roger Ebert's 4-star review of the movie. He said Christopher Nolan first started writing the screenplay for Inception back when he was making Memento, another really great movie that demands some mental heavy lifting from the audience.

I just have to make my mind up whether I'm going to see the movie here in Lawton, or perhaps the Warren Moore 14 or even make the 200 mile drive to either Tulsa or Dallas to see it in film-based IMAX. Certain dream sequences of the movie were filmed in 65mm.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
65mm 5-perf though not 15 - perf Imax

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the Midnight in LieMAX and I must say that the Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole trailer looked very sharp and crisp, however the silver screen looked like crap.

As for the movie, WOW. I had high expectations and they were blown away. This was a rare movie that literally made my jaw drop. I have to agree with Brad, just go see this movie. You will not regret it!

5/5

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In France, Nolan and his team did a premiere in Paris (Gaumont Marignan with 4 digital screens) in 35 mm. It seems that Nolan does not want to use digital projection for Inception. In France, you'll have the choice between 3 LieMax screens and 35 mm. That's all.

Is it the same in USA ?
In LieMax, how does Inception looks like ? The use of 65 mm cameras is noticeable despite the 2 K resolution ?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-16-2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it is noticeable regardless of playback method, at least by a little bit. On the Blu-ray, you can definitely tell the difference in quality between 35mm, Vistavision and IMAX proper shots in Batman Begins 2 despite each and every one of them being far more resolution than Blu-ray is capable of. So the source is very, very important to overall image quality no matter how it is delivered.

I have not seen Inception yet. No time. Will probably see it Wednesday.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Wife didn't.

It's satisfying while you watch it, but, after its over and you start to think it through, it loses its luster.

It's great fun to watch, though. Some great eye-candy.

They need little numbers in the lower corner of the screen to tell you what level you are at.

Music is a bit heavy handed...to much boom-boom-boom-boom.

One of the best endings ever, though.

My rating: B; Wife rating: D

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-17-2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

I wander down and get a center seat in, oh, row six or seven. The guy who sits in front of me is a middle-aged loser with stiff wirey hair hovering above his sweating bald spot. He's wearing a Shazam T-shirt that his mother clearly ironed for him. Perfect creases in the sleeves.

THE PLOT: Planting an idea. Wackiness ensues.

Wow. This one takes some work to follow, doesn't it. But it's visually solid, and it winds through its web of wonders nicely. I don't think it's THAT original or even a destined classic, and I don't feel myself needing to see it again, but the whole thing is good...I don't think they wasted a single frame.

The only question I was left with was "Did I just see a happy ending, or not?"

I suppose it doesn't matter...it was the right ending in any case.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Sam. We actually have seen this memory implant secret agent stuff before.

The original was Philip K. Dick's short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" which became "Total Recall"

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it! [Smile] Would love to know how the real Imax looks!

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened this on Friday and I've got to say it lived up to the very high expectations I had for it. It's a longish movie but moves well and didn't drag for me or have any weak parts that stood out. If anything I thought it could be longer and I'm crossing my fingers for a directors cut once the dvd is released.

I'd like to hear from someone that saw it on IMAX and 35mm, though I want to see it on IMAX it seems like there would be very little added from the 35mm release

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 10:49 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show: 8 am, 7/16/10
Theatre: Esquire IMAX Theatre, Sacramento, CA
Projection: IMAX 15/70 on an IMAX GT projector
Sound: IMAX DTAC

Cons: The only way I could think of anything negative is to compare this to Dark Knight. Both films had the same writer, director and DP, and both had the same feel and pace.

Dark Knight began with the IMAX "Think Big" (aka countdown) trailer in scope. This made a huge impact when the first shot filmed in 15/65 showed on the screen. Inception, like every other letterboxed DMR film went the other way, having the countdown trailer fill the frame, then dropping down to scope (2.35 or 2.4) for the duration of the show. This is a huge misleading issue that IMAX needs to fix in its legacy theatres.

The other problem I had was that in Dark Knight, all the aerial shots were filmed in 15/65. There were a lot of flyover shots establishing location in Inception and it would have added to the experience if Nolan had shot only these in IMAX.

Pros: During the DMR process, the film was scanned at 6K. Considering that most DMR is scanned at 4K and that the IMAX digital systems are comprised of two 2K projectors with additional light output, the only way to properly view the image (most of which was filmed on 5/65 stock), is in an IMAX film theatre.

The geometry of a traditional IMAX theatre really helps with the immersion. In Inception, this went into overdrive during the second half.

The soundtrack is also one of the best I have ever heard. There are subtle audio clues throughout the film as to what is really going on and I can't think of a better place to listen to it than an IMAX (again traditional architecture) theatre.

Film: 3.5 out of 4
Film in IMAX: 3.8 out of 4

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh No!

I somehow managed to doze off while watching
INCEPTION earlier today.

So mow I'm not sure if I'm really awake.

What a conundrum. . . . .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: