Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Despicable Me (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Despicable Me (2010)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Universal's first foray into 3-D and it's a winner. Very cute, very funny (thanks mostly to Steve Carell) and makes great use of 3-D. For any customers who were griping that Toy Story 3 didn't have enough 3-D cool effects, direct them to this movie -- it has plenty. The roller coaster ride should make it into any "best of 3-D" compilation that happens to come along.

The story is inventive too, although you do know almost from the beginning what's going to happen at the end -- but there are so many madcap hi-jinks along the way that the sappy ending doesn't matter.

Basically, Steve Carell is an evil genius who has been "out-villained" by another evil genius, so he plans to steal the other guy's top secret weapon and pull off the greatest heist in history...but to do it, he needs to find some kids to sneak into the arch-rival's hideaway, so he adopts three orphan girls and... well, in this case Sam Graham's favorite phrase really fills the bill.

There are about four extra segments during the end credits, featuring the little "minions" making fun of the 3-D process. Fun stuff.

This is the most fun I've had at a non-Pixar animated film since the original Shrek. Four out of five stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the one-eyed minion in the HD clamshell case with the request that we run our faders at "7" since the sound was mixed at Skywalker Ranch?

Do we want to blow out the customer's eardrums?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im running it at 6.5. I liked it, too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tested it at 6.5. I think 7 will be OK with a good crowd.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2010 03:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you finally have digital?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - but we have not completely drunk the digital kool-aid (the film system is still ready and waiting!)

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2010 05:46 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one surprised the hell out of me. Ever since I saw the trailers I thought it would another lame animated movie in the realm of the Shrek sequels. But I have to admit that it is a pretty funny movie. The 3D was very clever. Although the story wasn't as good as Toy Story 3, it made up for it with a large amount of jokes.

As for the sound, this movie is noticeably quieter than normal. That note is pretty much BS since it said that the loudest part of the movie is the Illumination Studio logo sound. However I would have to note that the loudest part occurred right at the end of the climactic scene involving Gru and his arch nemesis.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The note in the case is not designed for anyone who sits and watches the movie, it's designed for the person who sets the sound volume and then sticks their head into the auditorium for 5 seconds to make sure it sounds good.

Having now been "listening" to this movie from the boxoffice, I've found more clever things I like about it. People who skip it because "it's not Pixar" or "it's for kids" are missing out. It's a fun ride.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-11-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #8 in 35mm 2D. Would say it looked great but the image was noticeably unsteady and shifted to the right a few inches. Well noticeable to me but probably nobody else.

The movie is pretty good. There are a lot of visual gags that I think I missed half of because they go by so quickly. Thankfully Steve Carell's voice didn't make me think of Michael Scott more than a couple times. People were laughing, kids seemed entertained. The only time I ever thought about 3D was the end title sequences which are very obviously there to play with 3D.

I give it 3.5 out of 5.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 09:15 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday at AMC Mazza Gallerie aud. #1 (35mm/THX/Dolby Digital). Peeking into the booth they had the fader at 5; I thought that the sound was low and could have easily been turned up a notch or two. As for the movie, I really enjoyed it; Not quite Toy Story 3 but one my favorite non-pixar animated titles in a while. The minions are great! The show I saw was 2D, but I still loved the segment at the end with the minions playing with the 3D; I don't think it mattered for the rest of the movie, but that section would have been funny to see in 3D.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the closing credits of the 2D 35mm film version, the Minions mess with the projector and cause the film to burn. Is that sequence the same on the digital version?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 10:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the film burn is there. It reminded me of the mid-movie film break in the second GREMLINS movie.

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome movie! The wife and I really enjoyed it.

We also got a kick out of the end credits (used the Best Buy android app to translate what the minions were saying).

Kori Marvin
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Kori Marvin   Email Kori Marvin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was very good. The minions and Steve Carell made it happen. Also, I really enjoyed the music throughout the movie...great! 4 out 5.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2010 11:32 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show: 11:45am 7/23/10

Theatre: Cinema West Palladio 16, Folsom, CA. Auditorium 9

Projection: Barco/Technicolor/Dolby Digital 3D/Real D (I swear they had both the Dolby Digital 3D and Real D trailers before the movie)

Sound: Dolby Digital/THX

From the French, who gave us hairless starship captains, comes this bold reimagining of ABC's "Full House..."

After being stuck with Carmike's all-digital houses with consistent poor focus and framing, dirty screens, and sticky floors that smell like crushed Smurfs in their hometown of Columbus for the past year and a half, I was excited to see that Cinema West opened a new cineplex in Sacramento. I used to go the Fairfax 5 alot when working in Sausalito and I'm very happy to see that Cinema West has carried over their commitment to both topnotch customer service and presentation.

Everything in this film has been seen before - but it was done so perfectly here that it didn't matter. I loved this film. And I want an army of yellow minions. It appears they're much more productive than squishy green alien spacemen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: