Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Toy Story 3 (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Toy Story 3 (2010)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-18-2010 06:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the short at the beginning (Day & Night) is worth the price of admission. There's more imagination in that than most other studios' whole movies.

I've only seen the first half hour or so of the feature at this point but I was lovin' it. Had to come back to my day job and close up the place. More later.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-18-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was rocking a 100% perfectly positive score at Rotten Tomatoes until Cole Smithey and Arnold White of the NY Press showed up to crap on the flick because of product brand placements (Arnold) and hatred of 3D (Cole). 139 positive reviews. 2 guys with sticks up their butts.

Product placement is a sad reality for most major feature projects. Nevertheless any legit critic has to judge the quality of the movie itself, not the freaking window dressing. And slamming a movie just because it's in 3D is pretty stupid. The critic can watch just about any movie with a 3D version in 2D, so he ought to try judging the movie on its actual content. Roger Ebert is not a big fan of 3D at all yet he gave Toy Story 3 a positive review. Just don't get him started about 3D.
[Razz]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 07:54 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a dissenting review from Armond White really count?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2010 08:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, it is kind of a given that there will be "product placements" in a movie about toys. For example, Mr. Potato Head. Yeah, kind of hard to avoid stuff like that. I'd rather see real toys than fake toys that never existed. In fact, I was kind of pissed that the fake Super Nintendo the dinosaur was playing at the beginning of Toy Story 2 was not a real SNES. But then again, the SNES could never do graphics like that... heh.

And to poo-poo an entire movie because you don't like 3D is rather stupid. That's kind of like saying the movie sucks because it is in 7.1 and you like 5.1. Nobody forced his ass to watch it in 3D. If that was the only showing available to him, he should stop watching movies now because every other movie he reviews will be 3D.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark Egyptian 24
'XD' screen / June 18 (12:01 AM)

I thought this movie was alot of fun, while the story isn't that plot intricate, the series works because of the characters. Enough humour, though not as prevailent as in TS2. The casual cameo of a Hayao Miyazaki character was great!

On the 'XD' scene the image and sound was completely immersive - notably during near the end when the action intensifies.

I also have to say the 3D effects really didn't bring all that much to the table in my opinion.

as far as I can summize, Armond White can suck it. He didn't like TS3 but liked 'Jonah Hex' - his credibitily is pathetic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2010 03:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Armond White even count???

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-19-2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Watts Theatre, Osage, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Analog matrix (lack of) surround
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Shaky, soft, out-of-frame picture, streaks and dirt in image, fluttering hairs in lower right corner, streaky credits, flat sound. This is a textbook example of a crappy presentation. On the other hand, admission was $4.75 and a large popcorn and soda cost $6.50. And it was damn good popcorn.
RATING: Four stars (out of four)

MEANWHILE AT THE OSAGE HARDEE'S (where I'm writing this) - Is that the BIG ROAST BEEF on the menu? Could it BE? It IS! On a toasted and buttered bun! YEAH BABY! Why don't the Hardee's stores in Des Moines have this? Stupid bastards.

This small-town pink-and-teal auditorium has digital pre-show advertising with lots of local businesses. You can barely hear it. After they shut off the digital projector (the entire process which was visible on the screen, including the "Are you sure?" prompt and a countdown), they ran a 35mm trailer, then something broke. While they were fixing it, the audio from the digital advertising could be heard. Apparently it just continues playing under the entire fucking movie.

So the movie is running and it's pedestrian Toy Story....pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian pedestrian...and then...oh my God.

You could skip the first 70 minutes and leave the theatre feeling like you just witnessed something incredibly special.

Oh...the short sucked.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2010 07:05 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today at the Continental in Denver on the giant screen in 2D 35mm. Excellent presentation all around, but I'm reminded by how the "stadium" remodel really fucked up the sight lines.

TS3 is the first new film I've bothered to see in 2010 and I hope to see it many more times on the big screen.

Absolutely outstanding. Thrilling, hilarious, and heartbreakingly emotional.

Tortilla! I can't type that without laughing!

[Smile]

[thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2010 12:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I turned the 3D off so I could enjoy the movie more.

That being said...I loved it just as much as the first two. A definite must see. Maybe its just me, but Buzz in Spanish mode was just hilarious and that lame Randy Newman song "You've got a friend in me" is sooooooo much better in these end credits! [Wink]

3D = 4 out of 5 stars (anticipated)
2D = 5 out of 5 stars (verified)

(Meanwhile I keep installing more and more and more 3D systems. Grrrrrr.)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-20-2010 12:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only caught a little bit of it after a 3D install.

My impression of the 3D was that the short made GREAT use of 3D and greatly added to its look and appeal. However, once Toy Story started...the 3D added nothing but a headache and eye strain.

Brad's review seems to confirm this.

I'm more concerned about Sam's review...nowhere did I catch him saying that "wackiness ensues" which is an absolute requirement for me to see a movie. I guess I'll have to pass...I got to have the wackiness!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more concerned that it refers to "Auditorium 1" in a small-town single-house. That is, unless the place has installed extra rooms since my last relatives in Osage moved which seems extremely unlikely.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite Pixar movie since "Finding Nemo." Easily better than "Wall-E" or "Up" and on a par with TS2, if not maybe a little better. (I don't remember for sure, I haven't seen it since we played it.)

There are a ton of small touches in this movie that demand another viewing or two. And agreed, the Spanish-mode Buzz was hilarious. I love the way Buzz is the most "modern" toy in the gang, but in all three movies he's the most problematic due to "software" problems. I think it's sort of a veiled comment about computers.

I like how they brought the saga to an end, but set it up for more sequels at the same time.

I was scared, entertained, throat-lumped and basically blown away by this movie. 4.5 out of 5 stars from me, only because the last reel of the first one can't be beat (or at least it hasn't been yet).

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-20-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE PLOT: Steve Guttag misses an awesome movie because I forgot to write a plot line. Wackiness ensues. IN THIS VERY FORUM

The Watts is still a single screen, which makes the auditorium by default "Auditorium 1". Or, based on the presentation..."Auditorium Suck". There's no room for expansion anyway as the adjacent Subway is FAR more profitable.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get mail all the time addressed to the Roxy 1. I like to think it's because "We're #1."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-21-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Well the short at the beginning (Day & Night) is worth the price of admission. There's more imagination in that than most other studios' whole movies.
Agreed wholeheartedly. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: